Things that I need clarified for Leadwerks 2.5

GameMaker

I have a few questions regarding Leadwekrs 2.5 -

1. Is it possible to apply parallax occlusion mapping ( the one that comes in the material editor ) shader to the texture layers of the terrain created within Leadwerks 2.5 sandbox ?

2. Can I create my terrain in an external terrain editor like Earth Sculptor and then use it in Leadwerks 2.5 just using code ? Can I apply material to the terrain through code ?

3. Can I have collisions on tress that are placed individually in the sandbox or using code at runtime ? (without using the vegetation layer )

4. Is it possible to have paging terrain as found in cross country racing games ?

5. Can I apply parallax occlusion mapping to my skinned meshes ?

6. Can everything - every settings and features available in sandbox be applied / manipulated / changed using code at runtime (including run-time terrain generation using lightmap) ?

7. There are lots of pre-made shaders available in the material editor including eye candy effects like volumetric light scattering. Can I use them directly on my game objects ? For example volumetric light scattering happening at a desired screen location instead of the default directional sunlight ?

8. Do I get guide / manual on how to do the above stated 7 things ?

9. I want to apply the effects -

• Distance fog
  • Skyboxes
  • HDR / Iris adjustment
  • Bloom
  • Antialias
  • Near and far depth-of-field (DOF)
  • Volumetric light scattering (God rays)
  • Screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO)
  • Transparency and refraction.
  • Water with reflection, refraction, physics, and full-screen underwater effects.

without using the "Framework" or in other word build my own framework. Do I get a guide / manual on how to do that ?

1. I believe we used to be able to, but I have not done so myself. Someone else will advise

2. You can import a heightmap and apply textures in code, otherwise its a mesh

3. Yes

4. Not without writing your own system

5. I suspect not but havn't tried that, Probably would need to amend the shaders

6. Pretty much

7. Some come as default with the engine but no volumetric light scattering, people have done their own

8. There is some help but it won't include all those features

9. No you do not ... you're on your own

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I have a few questions regarding Leadwekrs 2.5 -

1. Is it possible to apply parallax occlusion mapping ( the one that comes in the material editor ) shader to the texture layers of the terrain created within Leadwerks 2.5 sandbox ?

No.

2. Can I create my terrain in an external terrain editor like Earth Sculptor and then use it in Leadwerks 2.5 just using code ? Can I apply material to the terrain through code ?

Yes.

3. Can I have collisions on tress that are placed individually in the sandbox or using code at runtime ? (without using the vegetation layer )

Yes.

4. Is it possible to have paging terrain as found in cross country racing games ?

No.

5. Can I apply parallax occlusion mapping to my skinned meshes ?

Yes.

6. Can everything - every settings and features available in sandbox be applied / manipulated / changed using code at runtime (including run-time terrain generation using lightmap) ?

We don't use lightmaps. There's a few things like vegetation that only can be created in the editor.

7. There are lots of pre-made shaders available in the material editor including eye candy effects like volumetric light scattering. Can I use them directly on my game objects ? For example volumetric light scattering happening at a desired screen location instead of the default directional sunlight ?

Not really.

8. Do I get guide / manual on how to do the above stated 7 things ?

There's a link to the docs in the site header.

9. I want to apply the effects -
  • Distance fog
  • Skyboxes
  • HDR / Iris adjustment
  • Bloom
  • Antialias
  • Near and far depth-of-field (DOF)
  • Volumetric light scattering (God rays)
  • Screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO)
  • Transparency and refraction.
  • Water with reflection, refraction, physics, and full-screen underwater effects.

without using the "Framework" or in other word build my own framework. Do I get a guide / manual on how to do that ?

I don't understand this. You want the effects set up for you, but you don't?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yes, the framework is all right for basic need. But suppose I need volumetric light scattering happening from the magic wand of a wizard character then the default volumetric scattering implemented in the framework does not come into use. In such a case I want to know if I can apply the godrays frag shader that comes within the material editor's dropdown list.

I may also need to alter the color, intensity or noise of the emitted god ray and have shadows cast on the floor when a character walks beneath it ( without using a spot light source ).

Apart from this there are many shaders included in the material editor. The wiki video and pdf tutorial about materials cover diffuse bump map specular and parallax occlusion mapping. But they do not cover all the settings and combination for the rest of the shaders available

in the material editor. Do I get a table / chart that covers settings for each of the available shaders ? ( I am totally novice in shader programming )

As for point number 6, I meant to write - runtime terrain generation using heightmaps ( instead of light maps ).

For point number 1, "applying parallax occlusion mapping to terrain texture layer"s - can it be done if I import my terrain from other terrain making softawre into leadwerks ? Or applying surface detail shaders like detail mapping is not possible in Leadwerks 2.5 ?

How long will I get support for Leadwerks 2.5 before everything gets closed down officially ?

We'll keep doing bug fixes, but Leadwerks 3 is going to be our new foundation for building on.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

In Leadwerks 3 the function is Time::GetSpeed(). Does the same thing.

The physics system in both automatically runs at a constant framerate and interpolates between frames.

In Leadwerks 2.5, AppSpeed() doc states it is for framerate-independent entity motion. What about animation speed of rigged characters ? How do I ensure that rigged characters display their animation at a desired constant speed across diverse CPUs and GPUs ?

And what about entity movements influenced under the inbuilt Newton Physics system ? How do I ensure that physics simulation occurs at the desired constant speed across diverse CPUs and GPUs ?

Physics uses internally something similtar to AppSpeed(), so you should not use the AppSpeed() multiplier for physics commands like AddBodyForce(), AddBodyTorque(), etc....

Animations are kept at computer independant speed also using the AppSpeed() multiplier, in the Animate() command.

Like:

frame+=0.1*AppSpeed();

Animate(model,frame).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

In Leadwerks 2.5, AppSpeed() doc states it is for framerate-independent entity motion. What about animation speed of rigged characters ? How do I ensure that rigged characters display their animation at a desired constant speed across diverse CPUs and GPUs ?

I always use the current time as the frame number, divided by some number to make the speed faster/slower.

And what about entity movements influenced under the inbuilt Newton Physics system ? How do I ensure that physics simulation occurs at the desired constant speed across diverse CPUs and GPUs ?
It just works. You can add forces without worrying about modulating them.

You can use Time::Step() and the program will run at a constant rate each frame. It will just slow down if the program lapses below 60 FPS.

I think it's most important that the API be unambiguous and predictable. Second-guessing the programmer usually causes more problems than it fixes.

According to OpenGL org http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Detecting_the_Shader_Model

GLSL versions went through some interesting number changes.

Until version 3.30, the GLSL version number and the corresponding OpenGL version number were different. Here's a table: OpenGL

Version GLSL

Version 2.0 1.10 2.1 1.20 3.0 1.30 3.1 1.40 3.2 1.50

For all versions of OpenGL 3.3 and above, the corresponding GLSL version matches the OpenGL version. So GL 4.1 uses GLSL 4.10.

Direct3D Shader Model 4.0 is equivalent to GLSL version 3.30. Earlier GLSL versions for OpenGL 3.x provide subsets of this functionality, based on the available functionality in the OpenGL version, though 1.50 is almost feature-identical to SM4.

Direct3D Shader Model 5.0 is equivalent to GLSL version 4.30.

For earlier shader models, GLSL versions less than 1.30 are used. Because GLSL is a high-level language, many of the differences between SM 2 and 3 are not exposed to the user.

And the Leadwerks 2.5 system requirements state -

System Requirements

Minimum:

• Windows 7, Vista, or XP
  • Nvidia GEForce series 7000 or ATI Radeon series 3000 graphics card (Shader Model 3)
  • 1.0 GHz CPU
  • 512 MB RAM

Recommended:

• Windows 7, Vista, or XP
  • NVidia GEForce 8800 or ATI Radeon 3870 graphics card (Shader Model 4)
  • 3.0 GHz CPU
  • 2 GB RAM

Please ensure your graphics drivers for NVidia and ATI cards are up to date.

Intel integrated graphics chips are not supported.

I am confused tallying between MIcrosoft's Shader Model 3.0 and 4.0 and Leadwerk's supoorted OpenGL and GLSL version.

Can you please confirm which versions of Open GL are fully supported by Leadwerks 2.5 and which GLSL versions are fully supported in Leadwerks 2.5 engine ?

I thought if an engine is written in OpenGL version 2.1 then the GLSL version that can be used is 1.2.

But you are saying it all depends on the hardware. So if I have a GPU that supports OpenGL 4.2, will I be able to write GLSL code that confirms to GLSL version 4.20.6 and use it within the Leadwerks material files without any problems ?

Additionally this wikii page http://www.leadwerks...OpenGL_Commands

shows that one can use OpenGL functions directly within Leadwerks and draw on the screen. Can I use OpenGL 4 functions to do such thing ?

So again please confirm

1. What GLSL versions are supported by Leadwerks 2.5 ?

2. What OpenGL versions are supported by Leadwerks 2.5 ?

From all these questions I can only infer you are an experienced game designer. Care to share your background and examples of previous work with us and a brief outline of what you are planning to maybe use LE2 for?

Always interested in new members and what they can potentially bring to the community.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Well post #5 revealed little. I see it states 'I am totally novice in shader programming' but little else to be honest! No worries, I'm sure josh will get round to answering your latest questions when he has the time.