Project setup for mobile SDKs in LE3?

Hodgey

Hi all,

A friend has turned my attention towards the upcoming LE 3. I'm currently impressed by the bits of info I've found about the forums but I have a few questions. I currently use App Game Kit (from the The Game Creators) to write apps and in order to program with C++, they provide a set of projects for VS 2010, Xcode, Eclipse etc. To get them to work however, we have to manually link our headers and libraries, and make a few adjustments here and there. What does the LE 3 project setup involve?

My other question is are there a set of functions that we fill in to program mobile apps? In App Game Kit projects, the framework for our code consists of 3 functions, begin(), loop() and end(). We can have our own classes, functions etc of course but everything has to eventually end up in those functions. Will LE 3 be imposing similar frameworks?

Thank you for your time. smile.png

Our project manager is built into the editor and will automatically generate a code project for iOS, Android, Mac, and Visual Studio. The projects are set up to link and compile right away, with no fiddling around needed.

Leadwerks apps are structured like this:

App::Start() is called at the beginning of the program. If this function returns false, the program ends. If it returns true, then App::Continue() is called repeatedly until it returns false and the program ends.

We have to do this because the mobile platforms make all applications follow a pattern like this.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The projects are set up to link and compile right away, with no fiddling around needed.

That's a step up from what I'm used and a welcome one at that.

App::Continue() is called repeatedly until it returns false and the program ends.

If we clog this up with another loop e.g:

App::Continue() {
   while(true) {
 // do something
   }
}

Will this cause problems? It did on some platforms with AGK and I believe it's because of the flow pattern of mobile apps that you've mentioned. I just like to keep these things in mind while programming. smile.png

Thanks for your time and answers Josh.

That's a step up from what I'm used and a welcome one at that.

If we clog this up with another loop e.g:

App::Continue() {
while(true) {
 // do something
}
}

Will this cause problems? It did on some platforms with AGK and I believe it's because of the flow pattern of mobile apps that you've mentioned. I just like to keep these things in mind while programming. smile.png

Thanks for your time and answers Josh.

Your app will freeze and the user will never see anything appear. Unless you call break somewhere in there to exit the loop.

The screen won't be refreshed until the App::Continue() function ends. I don't have any control over that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

A friend has turned my attention towards the upcoming LE 3.

Welcome to the LE forum, Hodgey! I hope you enjoy your stay here. wink.pngsmile.png

Cheers!

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3