LW3 and Source Code

BLaBZ

I think it's great that using LUA we'll be able to write the same code and have our games work crossplatform.

What I don't like is the idea that anyone could see your source code. Your design and architecture is part of your intellectual property, will there be anyway this is protected?

Would there be a way for leadwerks to take your source code and convert that to machine code?

Thanks

-BlaBZ

5c8e5100fc6df22c8938ce77ed686a42.png = OpenGL

If you make a standard game, i'm not sure all pure gamers that don't know anything about game making would be interested in code ?

I think 3D models and textures protection is lot more important.

At final the copyright guarantees that if you see a sold game using your stuff you can counter it.

Stop toying and make games

Let's talk about files in general instead of just Lua scripts.

Android does not support file system access. (As is typical for Android, it sort of supports it, just not in any way that is functional in real life.) Android compresses all files into a single zip file (the APK) but does not give you any control over that. If I were to put all files into a zip file within the APK, the entire game contents would have to be extracted into memory when the game started, which is infeasible.

So due to the lack of file system support in Android, our typical method of creating a password-protected zip file does not work. Therefore, we have to implement a per-file encryption system, where each individual file is scrambled. This is not that bad because we have the publish step, which gives the editor control over copying files, and the encryption can be performed at this stage in the workflow.

I have not implemented this yet. I figure the first real games will start coming out three months after Leadwerks 3 is released, and we will have an encryption system implemented by that time. I am sure that we can implement this after the initial release, and it won't cause any incompatibility in your game projects.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.