Poly Count

fumanshoo

I was wondering what my poly count should look like for my main characters vs my NPC's and enemies and what not. I am not showing too many characters on screen at once, but I do want my main characters to have some sort of badassery, and I am having trouble doing that at a low poly count. My main characters are around 15-20k while my npc's can end up in the 5000-10,000 depending on relevance. Is that a good set of numbers to stick to? 15-20 for main characters and 5000-10,000 for less relevant characters?

Ok, I try to stay below that, but my main characters seem to cut really close to 20,000 especially when I add more detail. I suppose I should make high and low poly models of all my main characters to make it easier on computers like my laptop which can hardly handle 2D games like "The Binding of Issac"

It is, but the characters are starting to look really nice and there will not be too many characters on screen at once, so I thought I could make some exceptions. I think maybe I should stick to a good 15,000 polys for main characters because I just realized how quickly those numbers can add up. What would you suggest for main characters vs NPC's... Some of the NPC's in my game will be playable which is why some of the enemy characters reach about 10,000...

WHAAAA?!?! I don't know how I could accomplish that with the character I am making. Maybe for some NPC's, but that would decimate my main character's detail to practically nothing! I guess I'll try to get the main down to a good 10,000 and the others down to about 3-5k, but other than that, I don't know how I could achieve 3,000 with main characters...

3000 poly is a bit weak ..hard to get much detail..even with highly detailed textures .. I think your mind is too much on mobile devices now Josh biggrin.png .

6,000 - 10,000 poly at least.. for the main characters ...anything else like standard NPC's could probably be dropped to 3,000 poly, like the random ones ..enemies or something should be like...6,000 - 10,000 poly also..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Crysis polycounts:

Weapons (1st person and 3rd person bind models)

1st person: about 6000 triangles (same as cryengine1; not more really needed ? above, normal maps are not needed)

3rd person: about 1500 triangles

Characters

As we are using attachments we have to split the triangle numbers in the separate parts:

* Heads 3k triangles

* Body 5k triangles

* Attachments 1 k triangles

Vehicles

Max. 20000 polygons is our internal limit

Buildings

Hard to answer ? put detail were detail is needed. No real need to go crazy. If you only have a few buildings in your level you can spend more triangles, but you should be careful in City maps.

Vegetation

Between 500 and 2500 triangles for trees ?whereas the ones with 2500 should not be used in a dense forest because of the filtrate ? It heavily depends on the scenery you want to create.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Yeah those counts for Crysis sound about right. I guess all we can tell you is do what seems right. Put detail into what needs it and put less into what doesn't. Use common sense.

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

I don't think characters need more than 3000 polys, typically.

It is possible to go that low and make it look higher detailed with good texturing (diffuse, bump, spec), and also depending on the model/cam distance. I think 3000 is a minimum for main characters, though. 3000 to 10000 for main characters should suffice in most cases.

One of the (big) enemies in Crysis has 30000 polies. So, it all depends on the model, but in general, go as low as possible. wink.png

• Upvote 1

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

The most commonly used mechanism for maintaining apparent detail whilst reducing the actual polys is applying a normal map from a high poly version to a low poly version of the same model. Its amazing what a difference this makes if it's done well

I would agree with Chris's suggestion of up to 10K max for main characters and considerably less for the rest.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

All of my characters have normal maps thanks to Shader Map 2 which is relatively inexpensive and has some really nice results. I should really rely on normal maps more because it almost adds fake detail in a way. A flat surface can look like a bulge thanks to normal maps.

Yeah normal maps are everyone's best friend! I personally use crazy bump. Nice and easy to use and free. Well, the free version is biggrin.png

Lol.. got a virus warning when I tried to download the demo version from their main site.. so I didnt bother ...tried it again today, still a virus warning..

I use NOD32 Antivirus ...normally it doesnt complain ..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Haha believe me, Shader Map is definitely worth the purchase. It's easy and it gives you full control over the normal map. Not only that, but you can upload just about any format model into the app and manipulate the normal map on your character in real time. I love it!

Lol.. got a virus warning when I tried to download the demo version from their main site.. so I didnt bother ...tried it again today, still a virus warning..

I use NOD32 Antivirus ...normally it doesnt complain ..

Well I actually randomly ran a virus scan the other day, a while after installing it, and no viruses :) I use Avast by the way.

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

All of my characters have normal maps thanks to Shader Map 2 which is relatively inexpensive and has some really nice results. I should really rely on normal maps more because it almost adds fake detail in a way. A flat surface can look like a bulge thanks to normal maps.

Just to be clear - you are baking the normal maps from a high poly model to the low poly version, and are using SM2 only to further tweak those maps, right?