Lightmaps In 3?

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

will lightmap usage be the soupe du jour in L3 ?

will scenes be able to be loaded from the editor with lighting and shadows coming across (or at least the option to do so)...

--Mike

Oh that's a good question. It's one of those things that you take for granted until you don't have them.

(edit, answer just beat my reply).

All I can say is, awesome. It's why some folks shell out loads'o'money for a pro version of a certain engine. It's not considered optional. LW3 is sounding like a must have for mobile if it can deliver on the visuals.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Guest Red Ocktober

yes... this is good news... i've been relegating lightmapping as something that had seen its day... but in the new world of mobile gaming, i'm thinking that lightmaps may be a way to save a few frames per sec as opposed to having a lot of lights, that are for the most part static, in a scene where a lightmap might suffice...

a simple lightmapped scene... view in 720HD

edit-- maybe i should've recorded it in 1080p... can't really see much... anyway, here's a still

HellsDungeon1.jpg?psid=1

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

i think you're gonna wind up putting a few realtime lights in your game... strategically place... like for torches and stuff... but if ya do it right, lightmaps may work for the scenes static lighting... playing around with the idea now...

--Mike