Buffer Confusion

fumanshoo

As a noob programmer, I am just a tad confused on the concept of buffers... I know that it has to do with rendering things and memory management, but are they optional or are they just one of those perks to programming? I just don't understand how to use them... what I guess i'm asking for is an example on how they are used...

When you render to a texture, you are actually rendering to a color and depth texture, and sometimes more. A buffer is just a collection of textures that can be rendered to.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

mmk, so at least there's a pretty decent reason for my confusion...

ohhhh so it's more about just plain textures than post-processing effects like motion and Gaussian blurr.

this probably belongs on general discussion then because I thought it was more about memory consumption.

Well, you take those textures you rendered the scene to, then you draw them on the screen with a shader, and that is how post-processing effects are done. But you don't have to worry about that if you just use the Framework class, since it does all that for you.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

A little example of using buffers: http://www.leadwerks...ces/#entry41584

It's not a postprocess filter, but may be usefull for undestanding buffers.

I have looked that this post a bunch of times. It was very helpful. Rendering to buffers seems to be ok every frame as long as you aren't creating buffers but rather reusing a buffer and clearing it.