Leadwerks3 Game Shot

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

my first impressions:

1- nice... compelling... i might like to see this game running on my phone/tablet...

2- no shadows... ahh, i guess blobs'll do here... no biggee...

3- no light effects from the lightning bolts appear on the structure or the characters...

4- white phone background is ok... doesn't distract from subject...

--Mike

There are shadows on the CSG model though, so I wonder if LE3 supports only static shadows? That would be kinda a step backwards, as LE2 was 100% realtime. At least for me, shadows are the most important thing in a game engine, I could do a low end game without shadows in a few hours, just by copy pasting some opengl demos, or using Blitz3D.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Of course, I tested with Shiva that my S2 can do 300 cubes with shadows at 60 FPS, so a lower end phone can do like 100 easily, which is more than enough for one game room.

Projected shadows aren't a technical challenge. I've done them in the past. However, I want to stay focused on the critical features for the initial release, which means the main workflow and features that are absolutely necessary to make a game. Projected shadows can be added shortly thereafter, it's very simple to do.

1489.jpg

• Upvote 3

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Minimal to whom? I don't need an Editor, I just need a hardcore engine which rocks. So far nobody has been able to do that, and I count on Leadwerks. Although Shiva can do technically much more than Unity and any other engine, it lacks of command line interface, I hate the Editor interface. Leadwerks must have a command line interface, because its Editor is built on it. I don't think Shiva uses projected shadows, but it uses shadowmaps. Not sure why Unity does not support shadows, maybe it's because C# is too slow for that, or their pricing policy has bugs.

My worst fear is that Leadwerks 3 will be a nicely polished FPS maker, but actually lacks of realtime shadows.

Then I would still do even my next game with Shiva, which sucks. I WANT to use Leadwerks.

Minimal to whom?

Everyone other than you, Mika. wink.png

Don't worry, adding shadows is mostly a cut and paste job for me. I just want to keep things as simple as possible because there is lots of new functionality to polish up before I get to that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Not to derail the thread in any way, I am curious; Is that people who have been using AOL for 13 years? Or people born 13 years ago who are still using AOL? Or people who used AOL 13 years ago?

Back on topic, the screens are so small on most devices I don't notice real shadows unless in close-up. That's more a comment about my 40 y/o eyes as well as screen dimensions.

Certainly in publicity shots,(and Josh himself has made the same comments to me) you should throw in the kitchen sink.

• Upvote 1

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo