Succession. Is now in the werks.

niv3k

What I meant by the 2nd sentence was using cover, wall running, or sneaking up walls and over obstacles to kill an AI to move on to the next level.

Aiming for something mixed between Mirrors Edge, Splinter Cell, and Future Soldier, but with a more smooth & fluent interaction.

......wall running.....

Aiming for something mixed between Mirrors Edge ....

This just seems a bit un-realistic and over ambitious to me.... Wall running and mechanics like those in Mirror's Edge are very very complex mechanics and ones that must not just be done but done well if they are going to work...

• Upvote 2

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Super Meat Boy - 2D Game - 2 year development - 2 people full time

FEZ - 5 year development - 2 people full time

Braid - Simple 2D Game - 2 year development - 1 person full time (the guy had 10 years of game programming experience)

All these games were very simple but took plenty of time to create. They also all made millions on steam and XBLA.

The planned development period for my game is 2 years maybe 3 and I have another person working on it with me and we both work full time in other jobs and work on the game in spare time. The game is relatively simple as well. You will be surprised how long and hard this process is.

Not trying to de-motivate you but trying to save you some long term heartbreak. Try something simple but smart first and build up towards bigger things. I've made the mistake of being over-ambitious myself and it really sucks when you decide what you are doing is just never going to finish.

Took me about a year of flapping in the wind until I realized my ideas were way 2 ambitious for the resources and time I had. Then came up with a concept for a simple game that would still be fun and I've never been so close to finishing a game before.

I would recommend to anyone that wants do develop games independently to watch "Indie Game The Movie" first. Although those games are all 2D, the overall concept behind the movie is the same fore any independent game development.

• Upvote 1

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

what you dont see is that is just one level. Succession = series. Which in my case, series of the same level with different AI. simple to realistic. that's where most of my time is gonna be spent programming. not a bunch of levels consisting of puzzles and etc. that's why i stated up top like portal but a lot more simpler. smile.png and also my "wall running" isn't gonna be as sophisticated as Mirror's Edge. I don't wanna be that complicated. for the future of my games are meant to be simple, fluent, and so that the user can enjoy without figuring out 20 million different key configurations to do things that can be done easier, by one key or two.

I wish you luck Kevin but the gulf between dreamer and achiever is massive. Ken said it all in his previous post, so no need to elaborate. The time to showcase is when you have something working and demonstrable, not when it's still effectively a pipe dream.

Dreams are important as they serve as motivation and without motivation little is achieved, but motivation needs to be backed up by hard work and real skills. Use that motivation to acquire those skills first, then put those skills to work. Any short cuts in this process will lead to failure.

It's easy to be delusional about what it takes to make a game, most of us are when we first start down this road because you have to get part way down the road to realise just how long that road is. But it's a great journey if you have realistic goals!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Sounds really great! And as the others were saying, It would do good to not get too complicated with the free running. Try something like assassins creed. A kind of one button does it all system. (Obviously not as complicated with beams and things.)

But other than that I look forward to hearing more about it! I have always loved the whole test chamber puzzle games.

• Upvote 1

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

Try something like assassins creed. A kind of one button does it all system. (Obviously not as complicated with beams and things.)

This is still very complex. The fact that it is a one button does it all = more computations to determine exactly what to do when that button is pressed.

number of seconds. kinda reminds me of skyrim's SHOUT key. click it, does a weak shout, hold it for 3 seconds, a slightly stronger shout, and then hold it down for a 6 seconds and boom, big shout.

that's what i'm picturing here. your complexity seems irrelevant.

number of seconds. kinda reminds me of skyrim's SHOUT key. click it, does a weak shout, hold it for 3 seconds, a slightly stronger shout, and then hold it down for a 6 seconds and boom, big shout.

that's what i'm picturing here. your complexity seems irrelevant.

In most games I play if you waited 6 seconds to hold a key you'd already be dead :D

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Assassin's Creed aims more at climbing than actual parkour/wall running. Brink was trying to implement this into the game, but did a terrible job. in Mirror's Edge's tutorial it expresses running against a wooden wall by using W to run, then SPACE to jump against the wall, then SPACE to jump off if you wanted. This is simple. as for this is really all I wanna achieve. nothing crazy extreme. For my goal is to give the user a friendly environment with easy controls.