Project a Texture

tjheldna

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on how to project a texture in the scene? I can see many uses for this in my project, but mainly I need to project a circle at the players feet at various radius's. Can this be done with some sort of light that projects a texture? I just don't know where to begin with this so any help would be appreciated!!

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

To project a texture you paint a light with a TTexture. i.e LE::PaintEntity(light, texture)

In my game I simply have a texture with alpha. I parent that to the characters mesh and it seems to work pretty well.

There are decals but they have some performance issues atm and I think a light projection would also be an unnecessary performance hit as well.

post-3220-0-31850700-1348899082_thumb.jpg

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

To project a texture you paint a light with a TTexture. i.e LE::PaintEntity(light, texture)

In my game I simply have a texture with alpha. I parent that to the characters mesh and it seems to work pretty well.

There are decals but they have some performance issues atm and I think a light projection would also be an unnecessary performance hit as well.

post-3220-0-31850700-1348899082_thumb.jpg

The only problem with my texture with alpha is when I put slopes into my game it will look wrong so I'll have to find some work around for that I guess lol

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I know for terrain slopes I create a plane that has many segments that I paint the texture on and then I loop through each vertex location and get the height of the terrain directly below that x,z and move the vertex y like .001 above the terrain height. Performance is a balance between how many segments the plane has which comes down to how hilly your terrain is to give a nice look. Could probably do the same for models if you can get the y value of the x,z position on a model.

I know for terrain slopes I create a plane that has many segments that I paint the texture on and then I loop through each vertex location and get the height of the terrain directly below that x,z and move the vertex y like .001 above the terrain height. Performance is a balance between how many segments the plane has which comes down to how hilly your terrain is to give a nice look. Could probably do the same for models if you can get the y value of the x,z position on a model.

If the performance hit is smaller than the current decal system then why not

How do you find the terrain height directly below each vertex?