Few questions about LE2 and LE3

Athos

Greetings!

My First post here and I must say the current engine LE2 is amazing! I've been trying it out in the last couple of days and it seems to be really powerful engine. (I also tried some other engines with mind blowing features but didn't like them)

I'm about to buy the engine but I have a few questions about it:

1- The only thing that I didn't like it so much is the current way the engine handles the shadowmaps, you can see the difference between a 'near shadow' and a 'mid away shadow', so is a "perspective shadow map projection" being considered for the next release of the engine?

2- Will LE3 have support for blitzMax as well?

I first started with projection shadow mapping, but it has many problems. When the light direction and camera direction are close to matching, there's no way to skew the perspective to get everything into the view, and you get very very low shadow resolution. After playing with this for a long time, seeing the same problem in NVidia's demos, and lots of reading, I decided perspective shadow mapping is only good for academic papers, and cascade shadow mapping is much more robust, which is why everyone uses it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...