WIP Armor Hero Archetype

Road Kill Kenny

Hi All,

Finally finished the modelling part of armour for an archetype in my game called the "Hero", so I thought I'd share.

The Hero generally wields a 1H hammer and shield and dons heavy armour. The Hero's main skills involve mitigating damage, reflecting damage, siphoning damage from team members and dealing some of his own damage. He is the melee counterpart to the diviner (healer) and has a strong sense of justice. His armour is gold and silver with red trimmings showing off an almost "Holy Warrior that seeks to smite evil where it stands" kind of personality.

This one was a bit of an experiment because I created this model as I went. I made no modelling sheets or sketches. I had an idea of the type of character I wanted the hero to be and I started from there. I was quickly inspired by the general shape of the Spartan helmets and decided to go from there tweaking it slightly. From there I went along top to bottom making it up as it went on. I never knew at any point if it was going to turn out well but I feel that in the end it did... (which is a big relief).

Soon I will have it unwrapped, textured and will be able to implement it in my game using the data driven design database approach I have set-up. This is a vital step for me as it allows me to essentially complete the player editor (minus ability choices) and test my code with a full set of armour. The player editor is pivotal for my game (ELEMENTAL) to work because it focuses heavily on player customisation with regard to choice of abilities and armour so I need a space where the player can do this comfortably and where they can save their builds to be loaded in game.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramble. I hope you like my armour.

post-3220-0-76764500-1329578527_thumb.jpg

Here is also a screenshot of how my player editor is going just for kicks XD

It may look a bit confusing because none of the drop down boxes or the text box have labels yet. Also note the tabs on the side. Clicking on different tabs will let you see different options.

post-3220-0-56289000-1329578752_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Its looking good Ken, very nice work.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Thanks guys

alot better than my mushroom radio that i made for you... good work!

HAHAHA classic. But Mack that mushroom radio is what makes you an artists XD

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Got the boots armour going in game. Had some interesting issues that occurred while trying to do this. its a bit different to mounting weapons because you have to mount individual bones of the armour to the bones of the character rig which caused some issues. However, I found a workaround

I'm not the best at painting textures but I did my best. Hehe doesn't really matter I'm not trying to make some AAA graphics game anyway.

post-3220-0-06448900-1329811926_thumb.png

The helmet will be the easiest armour piece as I can just parent the model directly to the 'head' bone. However, the body armour and especially the gloves will be a bit of a challenge. There are a lot of bones in the hands sad.png Oh well. I will manage

• 2 weeks later...

For the body armor you can inspire yourself on some other games , you could just attach upper torso, shoulder parts, than

just change the texture on the body torso. (look at World of Warcraft and other games).

For hands you can lower the number of bones by grouping all 4 fingers in the same bones, or 3 fingers (fable games like) on the same bones and keep the other fingers with their own bones ?

Perhaps you could just attach some independant animated hands to the arms ?

Stop toying and make games