..why people thinking that LE2.x is obsolete..

Naughty Alien

..i saw this kind of statement on BB forum so, i thought ill get answer faster here..so, why some folks believe that LE2.x is obsolete and that LE3D , or whatever it is called, will automagically make their games come true ? I do understand that apart from lack of cross platform capability, LE2.x is a real monster, if you use it properly, so, having said that, Im wondering what are facts behind statement such as 'LE 2.x is obsolete' ??

Well, I said that. And I think it's obsolete, because LE3 will completely replace it. If there was no LE3 in development, then LE2 would be still a considerable solution, but it lacks of cross-platform support, like Android, so even that makes LE2 a bit obsolete compared to its competitors. LE3 is a must, and as it looks, it will be very soon here.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Even gamestudio is still being purchased and thats ben obsolete for years. le 2 is only just completed . It may lack versatilty with regard to other platforms but its great for those who don't care about this.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

LE2 being obsolete is context sensitive - It is obsolete for me specifically because my current project requires texture arrays which are only supported in openGL 3+. This is something LE2 doesn't support and never will.

Apart from that I think we can safely conclude that LE2 is no longer in active development - What you see now is exactly what you'll ever get. No more no less.

As LE3D hasn't come out yet I'd say LE2 is immanently obsolete. When LE3D does come I see no reason why one would buy LE2 as LE3D is a natural and logical progression. That to me is the definition of obsolete.

I think it is important to note however that obsolete doesn't necessarily mean its no longer useful. Depending on ones needs it will still serve its purpose for a long time to come. My only concern there is that I get the feeling Josh intends to phase out LE2 in totality - Documentation is a bit broken for one, and I don't believe he intends to ever resolve that.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

LE2 being obsolete is context sensitive - It is obsolete for me specifically because my current project requires texture arrays which are only supported in openGL 3+. This is something LE2 doesn't support and never will.

..from the technical point of view, i agreed, but from game design point of view is wrong, because if your game design is based upon some specific feature, and such feature causing massive obstacle, without ability to do workaround, it near 100% means, game design itself is flawed..this said is considering that your project is a game, as it was not stated clearly..

This really comes down to two viewpoints.

Naughty Alien certainly has a point here. LE3 will not magically make your game come alive. That's entirely down to your leadership and drive. If you can't make the cut, no engine out there, be it real or theoretical, is going to make your game happen.

The other viewpoint is that from a tech standpoint...LE2 is vastly behind it's competition in terms of feature set and ease of use. Compared to Unity or the UDK, LE is showing it's age, especially at the price point*.

Unity Free/Indy is just as capable as LE in terms of what it can accomplish. It's also cross-platform and runs in the browser. It even runs on Linux at this point. And this is all free. It's also arguably easier to use with a shorter learning curve.

UDK can do significantly more out of the box than LE can. After the learning curve you can also accomplish more much more quickly as well. It's cross platform, running on OS X, Windows and iOS (android support coming soon). The editor is top notch and it's got a very healthy community with a vast amount of support. It's also $100 per title*.

Do I like LE? Yes. I mainly use it for small prototypes or fiddling around however. It just doesn't have the toolset to compete with the competition. Especially when I need licenses for my entire team.

----

*I'm aware that in the long run LE is cheaper than Unity or the UDK. However, this is true only under the condition that a game I sell makes a significant amount of money. At that point, having to pay a little extra is what I call a Good Problem™. I've already made enough that I have the cash on hand to cover it and then some.

It's also true that Unity or the UDK are more expensive in the long run provided that the given toolset does NOT cut down on my development time. In practice, this isn't the case, especially with the UDK.

I'm not trying to bring down LE or anything. I was asked a question and I'm just trying to answer it seriously and honestly. I think LE has a lot of potential, but it is not there yet.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

I'd really prefer not to have topics with titles like this on the front page when technically unadvanced investors are looking at the company. Leadwerks Engine is a programming SDK. If this is not meet your needs, you should go elsewhere.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.