Is 3D world studio ok for what I want to do?

Josh_727

Hi I'm new to these forums, hows everyone doing?

So far I'm pretty sold on LW but the $200 price tag is slightly outside of my budget right now, so I was wondering if what I wanted to do can be done using only 3DWS.

Its going to be an rts so to speak but the setting is outer space. Think homeworld. No terrain, its all open space with spaceships zipping around. And it will have animated models. Can that be managed with 3dws alone or will certain things require the use of the LW framework?

Eventually I will invest in a LW license when I have the money but right now I just dont. Thats why I'm looking for a by-product I can use so i dont have to wait around.

thanks for any replies.

It's is also worth mentioning for anyone else reading this that 3DWS is a game level design tool too, as well as a modeling program, supporting terrain generation and texturing along with model placement. To say it's just a modelling program might confuse people! But as Josh rightly points out it's not a game engine so you would need to export the levels for use with a game engine! Leadwerks Engine actually has better level design tools too imo!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

You can always use the free Blender 3D modelling program to make your models, if you don't have the money for Leadwerks Engine yet. You will need to use Blender anyway for making models, because commercial 3D modellers are way too expensive and not even better than Blender overall.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Also a seemingly good investment is ultimate unwrap 3d pro. for rigging and modelling and other stuff.

It is a recommended tool mainly for its well known ability to import and export a vast number of standard model file formats including the ability to export to Leadwerks gmf. However, although it supports a lot of tools and functions for modifying/fine tuning models it is essentially a UV texture mapping app and not a modelling app; nor does it support rigging of models! Well worth the small cost of the investment though for anyone converting models including animated ones.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

i agree its not what i would consider to use for rigging, but it does have the ability to create bones, assign vertex weights, and add/edit keyframes... but its a very limited interface. I would not dream of trying to create a bipedal animation with it but you could make a simple animation like a valve actuating with it fairly easy...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Thanks for the update Mac, I wasn't aware it had any vertex weighting capability, so I stand corrected :) It does seem that the more you explore it the more you find, it does have an astonishing amount of functionality ... but as you say probably not the app to rig anything complicated with.