ForEachEntityInAABBDo with hidden entities

Rick

I'm at work atm so can't answer that but I think those modelviewer shots might have that in the bottom left if I remember? If not then the total poly count on the screenshots will give an indication.

That being said it doesn't seem like the poly count is the issue. If I have no lights in my scene the entities drawn is correct with how many models I have visible. As soon as I add a directional light (haven't tried other lights) the entities drawn goes crazy high. Would the poly count have any affect when lights are added to a scene like I'm seeing? Why would it add more entities drawn once lights are in the mix? Shadows maybe? Maybe I can try turning off shadows for the gras or something?

I just reread a couple of your posts. It seems you have an extradorinarily large number of shadow polygons. Again, comparing it to my own map, which is a similar environment, my number of shadow polys is about 1/10th the number of polys. Your number of shadow polys is 5x the number of polys.

When you turn the lights off, shadow polys drop to zero, and you say it is much more reasonable.

I would definitely try tunring off shadows for the grass. I don't think grass shadows adds anything to realism or immersion.

I would definitely try tunring off shadows for the grass. I don't think grass shadows adds anything to realism or immersion.

I agree. I'll check that out when I get home. So shadows must increase the entities drawn number as well in those stats..

Cool.

So a couple things I did was use EntityViewRange() on all my models and set them to the lowest parameter allowed since it's top/down kind of view they don't need to be seen very far away. This worked really well actually, but I feel it's still not the real reason behind the slowdown. With that and with grass (but without shadows on grass) I was still only getting about 50 fps. Without grass I get about 100 fps so for now I'm going to just remove grass as a resource in my game. It'll take a little restructuring of the game but not the end of the world. Thanks for all your tips and I'm sure I'll come back and visit this at a later date if the game gets far enough along but for now I'll focus more on the gameplay.