ShinyMarble

smashthewindow

updaterl.jpg

It's a game that I've been working on for the past three months.

I'm basically a hobby-game designer, and high school schedule is a little tight on me, so it takes more time for me to finish stuff.

I am still working on gameplay (I need better collision detection for the camera) but I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.

Coded in C++ & Lua,

Using libraries Leadwerks, TinyXML, CEGUI, Boost,

Using softwares Blender, 3D World Studio, GIMP, 3DS Max.

(Oh yeah, no traps or obstacles set in the video... yet ;) Still working on programming)

Blog & Portfolio

Current project: moon.chase.star

I love it.

Thanks.

also, a few questions:

1. From the wiki, "Raycast radii are not supported at this time.". Is this going to be fixed soon or should I just wait for Leadwerks 3?

2. Does Leadwerks co. take "internships"? I'm not a professional developer or wanting to be paid, but I guess it's something I could put in my college admission essay.

Blog & Portfolio

Thanks.

also, a few questions:

1. From the wiki, "Raycast radii are not supported at this time.". Is this going to be fixed soon or should I just wait for Leadwerks 3?

It's not supported in LE2. This is actually one of the things I am working on in LE3. It's a lot harder than I expected, because nobody writes spherecasting code for an irregularly scaled sphere against a triangle.

2. Does Leadwerks co. take "internships"? I'm not a professional developer or wanting to be paid, but I guess it's something I could put in my college admission essay.

Are you in California?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It's a game that I've been working on for the past three months.

I'm basically a hobby-game designer, and high school schedule is a little tight on me, so it takes more time for me to finish stuff.

I am still working on gameplay (I need better collision detection for the camera) but I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.

I like it too :) reminds me of "toy story". You will work for pixar studios someday ;)

Your camera movements are also perfect, very cinematographic. I did not work on collision detection for camera yet. You use raycasts to detect walls ?

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

How was your experience with CEGUI?

Love the video.

Thanks. and terrible.

First I wasted some time trying to debug and event handling linking error, found out that I was linking release mode libraries in debug mode.

Second the texts keep coming cracked up, but found a quick patch to this.

Also I couldn't get the CEGUI animations system working, so I had to hard-code my own.

I'll move to this when it's complete.

this looks prime for deployment on one of the mobile devices...

one lil critique... tone down the bloom just a lil...

--Mike

I'll be moving to mobile as soon as Leadwerks engine 3 is released. (And also after considering the performance of the device...)

I'm adding an option for the rate of bloom, so people can adjust as they want. ;)

Are you in California?

No, but my parents are willing to pay for my flight and stay over there during school break. :D (I sent you an email before about this... got no reply though.)

And also, one more question, how does ControllerAirborne() function work?

I need something similar for my ball (which is a model) with collision detection, but it's not working that well.

My last option is to create a controller and move it along with the ball every frame, but that's like the ugliest solution possible.

I like it too :) reminds me of "toy story". You will work for pixar studios someday ;)

Your camera movements are also perfect, very cinematographic. I did not work on collision detection for camera yet. You use raycasts to detect walls ?

In the video it shows raycast, but currently I'm trying collision detection (since I don't have any "mesh only" entities).

Raycast seems to show problems of getting stuck in walls at certain angles.

Basically, you set up a long enough cylinder body from the ball to the ideal camera position pivot and check your collision callback to find where your camera should be.

Blog & Portfolio

No, but my parents are willing to pay for my flight and stay over there during school break. :) (I sent you an email before about this... got no reply though.)

That might actually be an option by this summer. Stay in touch.

And also, one more question, how does ControllerAirborne() function work?

If a collision occurred with the ground the last frame, it's on the ground. A ground collision is any collision with a Y component of the collision normal greater than some number...something like this (in degrees, not radians):

slope = 90.0-ASin(normal.y)

Of course the collision normal could be reversed, so check if the collision occurs above or below the center of your marble.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

This just looks soooo great. Reminds me of Marble Madness from the Amiga times. Great looking and just a great game idea.

Thank you.

That might actually be an option by this summer. Stay in touch.

Very happy to hear that.

If a collision occurred with the ground the last frame, it's on the ground. A ground collision is any collision with a Y component of the collision normal greater than some number...something like this (in degrees, not radians):

slope = 90.0-ASin(normal.y)

Of course the collision normal could be reversed, so check if the collision occurs above or below the center of your marble.

That's what I was initially going to do but the collision callback doesn't seem to be called when the entity isn't in motion, I cannot check if the ball isn't moving at all. I'll look into this more.

I tried renewing the counter (i use simple boolean to check) at matrix callback, but that gives me some true-negatives (?) (returns false every 3rd frame... of course when on ground)

EDIIT: Found the problem. If the geometry was created off 3DWS, then it's static geometry and doesn't call callback function continuously. Damn that's a disappointment.

Blog & Portfolio

Hrm very interested in trying this when I get home.

But I just wanted to throw my support behind smashthewindow for his internship with Josh - So many of us are developing games as a hobby behind other jobs. I would love to see someone get some real experience with Josh and his team as an internship. Those sorts of experiences make such a difference in ones life. I for one would love to see smashthewindow create some blog entries following his internship at Leadwerks - Maybe around contributing to the demo to come with LE3D, or a mobile version of this marble game in LE3D.

Make it happen guys.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played splinter cell conviction yesterday, and started working on a code solution for an environmental HUD.

I eventually gave up, but tried something similar for my main menu only.

3D Main Menu GUI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1bTGBlLeNo&feature=youtu.be

You might wanna skip a minute or so to see menu selection.

P.S: Does anyone know how I could get strong lightning as shown on my first video? That was when I didn't have a ceiling on my room... Now it's blocking the directional light...

Blog & Portfolio