Editor precision

Dozz

You can edit the SBX file with Notepad++. Or better, make your own QuickSave/QuickLoad function which stores the positions of all models in a SQLite3 database or custom binary file. Then you can have a function in your game where you select one model and adjust its position accurately.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

..i suspect that Editor using metric system, and that means by having 2 decimals, precision is about 1 cm, what is MORE than enough..by having it up to 3-4 decimal places, tolerance goes at millimeters scale what really doesn't make any sense considering its a game and not scientific application..so, by saying this, I think your request is a bit..off..

Actually I need more precision all the time, when I place wall pieces next to eachother. For now I have to overlap them slightly because it looks worse if there is a pixel wide gap between them. I would use double on CPU, and float on GPU, although AMD supports now also double on GPU.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Actually I need more precision all the time, when I place wall pieces next to eachother. For now I have to overlap them slightly because it looks worse if there is a pixel wide gap between them. I would use double on CPU, and float on GPU, although AMD supports now also double on GPU.

That indicates the models aren't made to line up in the first place. Wouldn't it be easier to just model them so they line up easily, and then you can just drag them into the scene without having to carefully adjust them?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

My application is not a game & I do need accuracy better than 1mm for object placement as I display the coordinates of the objects in my app. I ended up editing in notepad. Thx

One more thing re: the editor…the directional light has 3 values for linear offset & shadow distance. In cpp SetShadowOffset(x,y,z) & SetShadowDistance(x,y)…which is 5 values?

I have shadows set as I like in the editor, where do I use these 6 values in cpp to replicate?

Thanks in advance, Dozz

My application is not a game & I do need accuracy better than 1mm for object placement as I display the coordinates of the objects in my app. I ended up editing in notepad. Thx

One more thing re: the editor…the directional light has 3 values for linear offset & shadow distance. In cpp SetShadowOffset(x,y,z) & SetShadowDistance(x,y)…which is 5 values?

I have shadows set as I like in the editor, where do I use these 6 values in cpp to replicate?

Thanks in advance, Dozz

..accuracy better than 1 mm ? For 3D objects ? Then i believe you using already wrong aplication (Editor) for such task. What kind of modelling you doing then, because for such precision, low poly optimizations doesnt fill the bill ? Im just very curious now after you mention about 1mm scale is not enough, because it seems like falling in to a mechanical engineering area, and im rather interested to hear what kind of aplication is that, if i may know (my background is CNC machine software programing/design, or better say, thats what I was doing before i started 3D games)..

the editor is fine for what i use it for, I hope it has more features in the next version or ideally customisable buttons as suggested elsewhere, because we are all using the engine for different means. and my application is (will be) more a simulation which is engineering based. the engine has the accuracy its just that it isnt accessible within the editor in the dialog box

leadwerks is just about perfect for what i am producing, i'm getting there thanks to you guys with your answers in my moments of need, thanks Josh

2 decimal places = cm.

..yes, but he mentioned in his post that he need better accuracy than 1 mm, whats over 2 decimal places..im still wondering, what kind of application is that considering that for such precision, low poly modeling doesn't work anymore..on other side, poly count because of that, goes sky high..