Leadwerks with OpenNi

wmaass

Oh my god, it's a holodeck. How does it feel when you are walking around, from your view? Do you get disoriented?

It feels like I don't ever want to play a game without it...ever. No disorientation at all, the immersion is incredible. It provides more of an impact than 3D glasses, and without wearing anything. Integration is really easy.

i think this needs to be added as a feature for LE3... i want to use the editor like this... just stand in front of the wallscreen and place objects into the scene with a wave of my hand... :D

That would be cool, the sky is the limit with this. I am using the Asus sensor but the Kinect sensor works with it as well.

Nicely done. I'm basically doing the same thing but with a Kinect sensor. I wasn't aware of the Asus Xtion, just googled it up... seems to be quite similar in price and functionality, or are there any major differences between the two?

I've previously used a Wiimote inside LE2 (heavily inspired by stuff Johnny Lee did), but have now switched to using a Kinect for motion sensing.. The sky is the limit with this, indeed - but still, I've found out nothing beats keyboard & mouse in speed, accuracy and most importantly, long term use. I can't imagine myself playing long sessions while having to move around a room or waiving my hand inside the editor for an hour or two.

A good example of where this could be used to nicely augment gameplay and immersion would be a top down game like GTA1/2. I remember when I was younger and played the first two GTAs, I often caught myself leaning my head to the sides of the monitor trying to see behind buildings. I guess it was a natural reaction I've since unlearned because I know better.

Oh and If anyone is lucky enough to have a digital projector, google jDome, and if you're half a craftsman you can build your own for as little as free if you have suitable materials at home.

The only functional difference I ran into is that at least for now there is no audio support for the Asus, but this is because OpeNni does not yet support it. The biggest thing for me was that the Asus permits commercial use while Kinect does not, but this is soon changing. The fine details of Kinect commercial use is still a question though. The Asus is also much smaller and does not require a special power supply. The USB cable length can be extended quite a bit which is important to me.

I also went the Wiimote route in the beginning, then moved to FaceAPI which was good but not practical for my projects. I have also done some simple color based fast object tracking but it isn't as robust.

I will have to check out jDome, sounds cool. I have access to 3 screen projection systems, this should be wild in that system as well.