Loading maps/scenes

Dan_Incognito

You can have multiple maps loaded I think, but you can only have 1 (LE) terrain at a time I believe. I'm picturing your example being an RPG where you are in the open world with a terrain and you walk into a store and it loads another map and you are just in the store now and can't see the outside. Then when you leave the store it brings you back out to the map. You should be able to do that. There might be a noticeable load time though. I would assume these stores are their own models so you could have them in the same map as the outside world but maybe just underneath the terrain. That way everything gets loaded at once and your trigger is really just a transporter that instantly moves to the store model that's beneath your map. The player would never know and it would be instant.

You can have multiple maps loaded I think, but you can only have 1 (LE) terrain at a time I believe. I'm picturing your example being an RPG where you are in the open world with a terrain and you walk into a store and it loads another map and you are just in the store now and can't see the outside. Then when you leave the store it brings you back out to the map. You should be able to do that. There might be a noticeable load time though. I would assume these stores are their own models so you could have them in the same map as the outside world but maybe just underneath the terrain. That way everything gets loaded at once and your trigger is really just a transporter that instantly moves to the store model that's beneath your map. The player would never know and it would be instant.

Hey Rick thanks for the reply, yep thats the idea for the game. I dont mind a loading screen to load another map because it would improve memory usage and fps i assume?

Games before Dames.

You are correct. It's a trade off between those 2 things. You'd probably want your previous sbx map to stay loaded though so you can transition back to it fast and not have to save any states off from it so that you can return to it with all the things doing whatever they were doing. Then the "stores" or whatever can be loaded/unloaded at will.

You are correct. It's a trade off between those 2 things. You'd probably want your previous sbx map to stay loaded though so you can transition back to it fast and not have to save any states off from it so that you can return to it with all the things doing whatever they were doing. Then the "stores" or whatever can be loaded/unloaded at will.

Thanks Rick i appreciate your help! :)

Games before Dames.

Unless you are planning a massive game I don't see any need for loading more than one map. I have a large terrain which contains a huge castle, a village and a ruined priory and my fps is still well over 100.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Unless you are planning a massive game I don't see any need for loading more than one map. I have a large terrain which contains a huge castle, a village and a ruined priory and my fps is still well over 100.

Well what im hopeing to do is have one large open world map with settlements and so on but i want to be able to enter not all but most buildings so i felt it may be best to add more maps. is loading more maps that hard to do? ;)

Games before Dames.

Well what im hopeing to do is have one large open world map with settlements and so on but i want to be able to enter not all but most buildings so i felt it may be best to add more maps. is loading more maps that hard to do? B)

It depends on how detailled the indoors you want ? Caus keeping lot of very detailled indoors, if each one of them have uniwue 3D models or textures, you can overcome the memory ?

For example : Follout 3 Series like Oblivion uses outdoor level and indoor levels for each hhouse/buidling and it works greatly.

Or you can do some mix like : Loadind main terrain outdoor, when entering a building load it , when you exit, you Store Keep the Building outside Beneath the terrain, that way if you re enter this same building you won't have to reload it.

And if you enter another different building, you eras one if it is one beneath the terrain, in fact the idea is keeping one building stored and loaded under the terrain :)

Some other possible system : like some Queue where you could store to 4 indoors map , like some FIFO Programming system (First In , First out).

Stop toying and make games

It depends on how detailled the indoors you want ? Caus keeping lot of very detailled indoors, if each one of them have uniwue 3D models or textures, you can overcome the memory ?

For example : Follout 3 Series like Oblivion uses outdoor level and indoor levels for each hhouse/buidling and it works greatly.

Or you can do some mix like : Loadind main terrain outdoor, when entering a building load it , when you exit, you Store Keep the Building outside Beneath the terrain, that way if you re enter this same building you won't have to reload it.

And if you enter another different building, you eras one if it is one beneath the terrain, in fact the idea is keeping one building stored and loaded under the terrain B)

Some other possible system : like some Queue where you could store to 4 indoors map , like some FIFO Programming system (First In , First out).

Thanks for the reply! :) I'll look into each method and see what will work best for me :) Thanks again :)

Games before Dames.