What makes this terrain look good?

L B

While Googling Betke, I stumbled on this;

Pay attention to the cliffs on the left, and tell me why I can't reproduce a similar effect, no matter how I try.

I also noticed that AA brings a great deal of smoothness and integration, but that's supposed to be somewhere in 2010 (my annoyance about it will therefore start in about 15 days ;)

EDIT: Don't you think the oak trees have a somehow darker center than the outer parts, which make them look really good? What could cause this?

00000.jpg

It look somehow good, but it's missing a lot of stuff too which could make it look much better. It looks flat.

Crysis still has these unexplainable highlights on tree leaves, which could be roughly described as 4 different brightness levels on the tree leaves:

Crysis_21b.jpg

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I see no evidence of any special surface technique. It looks like a plain normal map to me. Just a really good texture.

The SSDO effect I have working produces results similar to those trees, although I don't know if they are doing a dynamic effect or if they simply darkened the interior vertices.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Screen Space Depth Occlusion?

... Dynamic Occlusion?

... hmm.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

I also noticed that AA brings a great deal of smoothness and integration, but that's supposed to be somewhere in 2010

Its just the sceenshot function. You render a 3500px screenshot and resize to 1500. THis is the effect you get. Crysis got not such an AA like on the shots by default.

For vegetation a "darkness" value can be set from 1 (default) to 0 (dark). Plus some Time of day settings here and the nice parallax mapping on terrain which makes it more looking good.

Thats all I think.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Pay attention to the cliffs on the left..

A good normal map and texture.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Cliffs are a bit boring. Some models should be there too.

I remember CE2 has terrain ambient occlusion. Really good feature: http://doc.crymod.com/SandboxManual/TerrainAmbientOcclusionIntro.html

Maybe this is what you meant while talking about the "dark" trees. :)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

I doubt it has to be saved, since the documentation shows a curve of variation with different points. This has to be calculated in real-time, or else it would have choppy/no transitions between the different settings (unless you save a really high amount of this).