Game Characters

Matthew Nicholls

Cheers Macklebee, Josh and Ken

The War Axe is now finished and up for sale. I included a prop version in the download so you can drop it in to the editor and it will react to physics. I though it would be good to have weapons that could be picked up or thrown. If you want to attach it to a character you need to use the gubbin version other wise it falls out of their hands.

The shield was finished but then I decided to give it more detail with a normal map as well, as the normal map looks really good on the axe.

I've added a bit of script to the skeleton Lua file that gives sliders in the properties window to control the blend values of the skeleton animations. This means you can drop more than one skeleton in to the editor and have different animations running on each skeleton. You can set all the animations to their own blend level too, so you can see how different animations look together. This is only to demonstrate the animation, as you would need to control the timing with your own character controller.

Also there is code that demonstrates how to add a gubbin to each mount point.

Nice. So each accessory is an add-on model right? Are you going to provide different skin and facial textures as well? I have to think that some clothing might be better as textures instead of separate armor. Like that chest piece she has on. It would probably be better (less risk of clipping into the character when animating) if it's a texture. It would also make you able to produce many texture variations faster than modelling I'm guessing. Would just need a way to swap shirt textures, for example, while being separate from the skin texture so you can layer textures.

Again, just going of how I see most MMO's working. Generally they combine models and textures to make outfits. some pieces like gloves require both a model and texture to be complete. They model the top part of the gloves and texture the hand part of the glove.

Take WoW for example. http://www.locksucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/nemesis-tier2.jpg

Notice the gloves. Towards the wrist there is clearly a model but on the hands it's a texture. They blend it nicely so it flows. With that you don't risk clipping with the hands and minimize clipping at the wrist area, while still giving a 3D look to the armor and not having it look so flat. You can see the chest is pure texture which you can generally get by with if their chest area (male and female) are defined well.

Again, just some ideas. Can't wait for this.

ROFL I'm sorry I didn't explain, I didn't have time when I posted. The stuff in pink is not finished the clothes are there to keep things modest. I didn't want anyone getting in to trouble at work with looking at nude pictures :) . The only part that has a near finished texture is the skin. Yet again time is an issue.. I'll write a proper reply later today tomorrow.

So each accessory is an add-on model right?

Yes add-ons like hair certain parts of clothing, stuff they hold ect...

Are you going to provide different skin and facial textures as well?

Yes there will be many different skin textures, facial textures will most likely be separate textures and there will be many different ones.

I have to think that some clothing might be better as textures instead of separate armour.

I'm going to use a combination of different models and textures. I will keep to an optimised system. If it works better with textures I use them or if it is better with modelling I'll use that.

It would probably be better (less risk of clipping into the character when animating) if it's a texture.

It depends on the accessory. I am going to make sure that if a model is added, its small enough and static so that it does not interfere with animations. For example a bracer on a forearm can be attached without messing up animations. Anything larger would need to have a rig of its own and conform to the animations. I'm considering the options, but I think I can divide up the character in to parts and just use the parts that are needed. So for some items of clothing only the head, hands and lower leg need to be shown so only the head, hands and lower leg will be on the character and the rest will be the clothing, which will be rigged itself. Like a robe of some kind say for a magic character. So what you would do is load in the head, hands and lower leg rigged to a Zap01 skeleton then parent a robe to it that also has a Zap01 skeleton and load the animations in to both. I need to plan what regions of the body need to be separated but I think you will get the idea.

Take WoW for example

Yes I've see how WoW do the art work I will take Ideas where I can get them :D Thanks for the tips

The hair looks like a helmet.

Yes it is not a finished model it is just there so she is not bold. The shape is close to what I wanted but I have to experiment will hair textures and techniques.

The bottom piece looks the most natural on this chick.

Thanks this is actually a model for the skeleton, but I thought I would try it out on her to see what it was like, also to cover her up ;) What I have found is that I will have to model separate accessories such as clothes and amour for male and female. Unless you want cross dressers in your game for some reason.

The girl, herself, looks pretty good.

Thanks I'm pleased with how she looks.

I'm not artist, so I hesitate to give creative advice, but it looks like you need to work on the textures a little bit more.

You have eyes and are a human that qualifies you to make creative comments. Everyone is an expert on the human form and what looks wrong, you just might not know that you know it, or what it takes to put it right. I am always grateful for another pair of eyes, that is why am posting. If I didn't want you to comment I wouldn't post. Josh's comments put me back about a week with the skeleton ;) but without his observations I wouldn't have the quality that I have now. If I disagree with you I will say, but am very good a taking criticism so don't worry.

So what you would do is load in the head, hands and lower leg rigged to a Zap01 skeleton then parent a robe to it that also has a Zap01 skeleton and load the animations in to both. I need to plan what regions of the body need to be separated but I think you will get the idea.

This sounds like it might complicate animation some if you have to load separate body parts. I assume we would have to duplicate the animation being ran to all pieces?

This sounds like it might complicate animation some if you have to load separate body parts.

There are a number of ways to do this, my current way is not to have separate the body parts but to have a number of versions of the body but with sections deleted. I didn't mean have just a leg or arm and attach it.

I meant have;

- full body mesh,

- just the upper half,

- head and hands and lower leg.

- just the head.

If there was a way of hiding just some of the model and using the full body that would be good, but I'm not sure if that is possible.

If you have separate body parts and attach them as separate limbs you run in to the problem of vertices not matching up in the animation.

I assume we would have to duplicate the animation being ran to all pieces?

At the moment as far as I know, to have more then one LOD you have to load the animation in to each LOD. Loading in animation to separate parts is not that much more complicated.

What I am proposing is actually done in a commercially successful MMORPG So it is a proven method not just my crazy idea :D .

Edit:

Just for demonstration this does not represent the final model

What I am proposing is actually done in a commercially successful MMORPG So it is a proven method not just my crazy idea

Yeah I don't think it's a crazy method, I'm just wondering if it'll complicate things to the point where you might lose customers (non programmers) who have a hard time piecing things together in code.

There are a number of ways to do this, my current way is not to have separate the body parts but to have a number of versions of the body but with sections deleted.

So we load the different models that have different sections in them to make the 1 full body when they are loaded? Like in your picture above. That would be 1 model that we would load. Then we would load a torso model that has the texture/gear we want as well and then arm models. Then as long as you draw them in the exact same place it looks like a full human body? Again I assume when you animate you'd have to animate all 3 loaded models with the same animation (above image model, torso model, arms model)? Just want to make sure I understand.

Yeah I don't think it's a crazy method

That is a relief :D

I'm just wondering if it'll complicate things to the point where you might lose customers (non programmers) who have a hard time piecing things together in code.

I am not just making models but the scripts to go with them so non programmers can get a lot from this as well. The final result should be a fully customisable character. You would drag in a character object and choose what you want it to look like with dropdown lists and tick boxes. When you choose a piece of clothing like a dress for the girl, the character object would choose the body mesh that is suitable for the dress because it would ask the dress script what body mesh it is compatible and then choose that. With my Java background I am taking a very object orientated view of the whole process. This way I can sell different items with their own stats in them and the system will know how and when to load them.

So we load the different models that have different sections in them to make the 1 full body when they are loaded?

Yes - the script will show how this is done.

Like in your picture above. That would be 1 model that we would load. Then we would load a torso model that has the texture/gear we want as well and then arm models. Then as long as you draw them in the exact same place it looks like a full human body?

The picture above demonstrates what the body would look like if you where going to use clothes that covered all the missing parts. So for a long sleeved top and short skirt or shorts. eg Coat and shorts.

Again I assume when you animate you'd have to animate all 3 loaded models with the same animation

Yes when the character is fully clothed the animations would be loaded in to all the models that make it up. (My skeleton script actually demonstrates loading animations to multiple LOD meshes)

• 1 month later...

Just a little update as I haven't posted for a while.

I'm working on a character controller + the animation controls for the skeleton Lua scripts. So far I have the skeleton walking forward and animating, turning as walking, and strafing left and right with animations.

The skeleton Lua script contains the code to control the animations and attach gubbins. Messages can be sent to activate each animation as needed. A separate character controller script is used to send the messages based on a further developed version of Ricks PI Character and keyboard scripts. I'm using the Pi keyboard controller as I don't have an AI control set up yet. As I test the control ill be able to see better what animations are working together, so far it is pretty good. I'll add it all to the skeleton files as soon as it is all working as intended.

As well as the scripting I'm still working on the human base meshes. Currently rigging the first version of the man.

@Rick what kind of accessories are you talking about???

If that was a joke then :) otherwise (it's the internet so I can't read emotion all that well :) ) I think Zaphos plans on adding attachable gear and many textures like some MMO's do. He'll sell the gear to be prebuilt to be easily attachable to his models. I'm really excited about that because you don't see that all that much in the indie modeling world and I think there is a huge market for it as most everyone wants to make some kind of RPG it seems (including me) and gear is generally a pretty big part of those games.

• Upvote 1

[/size][/font][/color]

If that was a joke then smile.png otherwise (it's the internet so I can't read emotion all that well smile.png ) I think Zaphos plans on adding attachable gear and many textures like some MMO's do. He'll sell the gear to be prebuilt to be easily attachable to his models. I'm really excited about that because you don't see that all that much in the indie modeling world and I think there is a huge market for it as most everyone wants to make some kind of RPG it seems (including me) and gear is generally a pretty big part of those games.

Yes was a joke

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

@Rick what kind of accessories are you talking about???

I'm not even going to ask biggrin.png

Zaphos plans on adding attachable gear and many textures like some MMO's do

Yes indeedy.. Character design is the most fun I have with computer games, so I thought what the hell, I might as well just make some game characters and stuff that goes with them so others can enjoy putting together their own combos.

• 4 weeks later...