Align to Terrain Problems

scotty0351

I’m having some problems with the align to terrain working for some objects, it doesn’t seem to update at certain points. I’ll move the object and it will snap to the terrain and then I’ll save the file or hit the switch to game mode button and the object will not be snapped. This doesn’t seem to always be the case sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t.

I’m placing each object individually and not painting them using vegetation because I need the collision on.

post-2164-0-33036000-1308963600_thumb.jpg

No I didn’t clean install maybe that’s the issue. But I’ve had so many issues with vegetation painting in the past that I was going to try and create a forest by Ctrl+dragging a large area of trees I don’t know if this is part of the issue.

Vegetation collision works fine for me too.

Be wary of using vegetation layers with patches (models made up of more than one tree) as align to terrain is only meaningful if the terrain angle is uniform over the entire area of the patch. As outdoor terrain is seldom like that you again end up with some trees in mid air. You need single trees which have the side effect of looking very uniform, ok for Pine forests but not much use for anything else.

Hand placement is the way to go from my experience if you want realistic looking landscapes but tedious work on anything large scale!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I usually create a hand placed area of different size trees and bushes and then turn on align to terrain, set the collision to scene, and usually turn down the objects intensity then I Ctrl + drag to select the area of trees and then Ctrl + drag to copy all object in the area. I then switch to game mode and when I come back out of game mode the copied area of trees alignment is off. I move them so they snap and go back into game mode then out of game again and usually the alignment is off again. I’ve also tried to save the level and see if this fixes the problem but the trees don’t stay aligned to the terrain.

post-2164-0-60603200-1309054699_thumb.jpg

I'll try this today as I don't think I've ever tried align to terrain on a group of objects outside of vegetation layers. I assume it works if you group copy but individually align them, the positions are retained?

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Where are you turning on Align To Terrain? I can only see this in the vegetation layer options.

I did find this though ... previous report of same problem

If you add this code below to any mesh, the "align to terrain" option is in the "appearance" section at the bottom.

require("scripts/class")

local class=CreateClass(...)

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

Where are you turning on Align To Terrain? I can only see this in the vegetation layer options.

I did find this though ... previous report of same problem

Yeah that’s the same problem posted over a year ago he even talks about saving the level and reloading it. Saving the level and reloading it and switching to game mode is when the trees come unaligned but it seems not even single tree is off just certain ones from the group I selected and copied.