Elixir Database Control Panel

Krankzinnig

Decided to get away from SQL and write my own database with front end. Just getting critique on the UI for now. Thanks.

To clear up any further questions, this ALREADY works. I wrote the whole Elixir API. It includes networking, threading, timing, state management, image loading (in many formats), semaphores, I/O and etc etc. What this tool does is creates global server via my networking classes then uses the I/O classes to effectively work as a database. You can create/edit/manage database files in a syntax highlighted editor all on 1 tool.

Example API call:

IO objIO;

objIO.WriteString("PlayerName", "Krankzinnig");

Welcome.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Note: This is a WIP.

AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.20 GHz - 8.00 GB Patriot Gamer Series RAM - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 1 GB GDDR5 - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

Looks promising.. :)

Thanks, I would love to post about Elixir, considering it is totally compatible with Leadwerks and most other engines but I am selling it so I don't want to advertise a product on Josh's forum without permission first.

AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.20 GHz - 8.00 GB Patriot Gamer Series RAM - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 1 GB GDDR5 - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

The GUI looks nice, but I would think the GUI of the tool to connect to a custom database system would be a task way down on the large mountain you are about to climb. You must be a GUI guy because if I recall correctly most of your posts are about GUI's :)

The API is already finished, I am just polishing the UI now. Its all rather completed.

Edit: All I have working on for the past two months has been this middle ware library. Completed the API now moving on to the tool-set if that clears anything up. Don't worry about the rest, that's not what I asked for critique on.

Like Rick, I think I initially misunderstood what you were describing thinking you had written your own database system. From your later comments regarding it being a 'middleware layer' I'm now assuming it's a front end for an existing database engine like MySQL. You might want to clarify this.

The UI does look great btw but I'm not sure it belongs in the Leadwerks Showcase forum as it is essentially not a Leadwerks product.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I did write my own database system lol. I am now coding an easy tool to interface it. You can then use the API + the tool-set WITH Leadwerks, Ogre, Irrlicht, SDL, OpenGL it does matter. Because Elixir is a largish package that does a lot. So it really does pertain to Leadwerks and any game developer for that matter.

You could use any database software with Leadwerks engine if you are dealing with a networked game. This is a convenient method for dealing with mundane data such as strings for quests, item information and etc. Data that really doesn't change often. These would normally be stored in files on the server or client side. This is all the database plugin for elixir does but fancies it up into a "database". It sets up a server for you and the API easily interfaces it so you can read and write files over the network. The front-end has neat features like a syntax highlighted mini enviornment for hand writing files. You can then "send file to cloud" where its automatically available over your network. You can use MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite or whatever you fancy along with Elixir for optimal efficiency. Its all about knowing which data is more static (npc data, map data, quest data and etc) and which are more dynamic (player health, exp, mp and etc), and more importantly how to handle this data differently.

However, Elixir does more then this. It will allow you to use png, jpg, tga, dds, bmp, psd, svg (yes fully scalable vector images) and psd right in Leadwerks for your 2D rendering. It features a robust networking class that handles all threading, encryption and messaging for you and a ton of other helpful features all view-able at our website.

I'm sorry but I really do object to this being in the Leadwerks Showcase forum. It has not one line of Leadwerks engine code in it and has no more place here than any of the other items which have appeared and subsequently been moved by Admin. Why is an exception being made for this? It may be a very good product (only time will tell) but it is none the less a third party tool and is not showcasing anything coded with Leadwerks Engine. I am quite happy for people to advertise there products in the forum however I respectively request that this be moved to off-topic where it rightfully belongs.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I am not trying to advertise the software in this thread. That's why I haven't posted a link. Just asking for artistic critique that's all as this is still a tool I use for writing my Leadwerks games. But if Josh sees fit, it can be moved.

That's the whole point I'm making ... the artwork was not produced in Leadwerks so why post it in the Leadwerks Showcase! Other artists who have posted work in here have had their posts moved and quite rightly so. It's nothing personal, this is addressed more at the forum moderators. It's just sets a bad president and will leave others who have had their entries moved feeling like double standards are in operation! No one is saying you can't post your work in the forums, that is encouraged, just that it needs to be in an appropriate place. I personally think a slot for third party tools and assets would be a good idea. A single repository for items like your company's Elixir and the many asset based company entries we get.

I think moderators should be brought back. It only appears we have one. which is the account called "admin". I see lots of things that could be moved, or even deleted as someone requests it, yet I can't do anything about it. ;) I also agree with pixel on the 3rd party section of the site. Companies like Krankzinnig's and arteria3d have to post inside the off topic or leadwerks related forums. I think off topic should be left for just random conversation, and not for posting anything unrelated to leadwerks engine(eg. model packs) . Even a section of the forum for companies would be good. Then the company has a real good chance of getting noticed.

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

Moderators belong more on community forums, whereas this, no matter how you look at it, is a company forum, although we do have a community here too.

It boils down to what would the repercussions be if Josh gave moderation powers to someone, and he later finds out that this person can't be trusted with them? Anything bad this moderator does in the mean time reflects badly on the whole company...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Moderators belong more on community forums, whereas this, no matter how you look at it, is a company forum, although we do have a community here too.

It boils down to what would the repercussions be if Josh gave moderation powers to someone, and he later finds out that this person can't be trusted with them? Anything bad this moderator does in the mean time reflects badly on the whole company...

That's true. Even if just one person was appointed the job of moderator. After all, a spam thread that ends up being missed also looks bad for the company. :)

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

We can play with words and descriptions all day however we all know that both Josh and Admin could have moved this and have for whatever unspecified reason chosen not to, in the same way as one of them removed the previous thread associated with this in Off-Topic without any public explanation! That's ok, it's their choice and forum and if they want to exercise double standards and censorship we cannot stop them. I personally think it sucks but that's just my opinion. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I'd just like to know why people who advertise third party assets which could equally well be used with Leadwerks Engine and have artistic merit too are immediately moved. The reason cited to some of these in the past was that the Leadwerks Showcase was only for showcasing things made with Leadwerks. I rest my case.