Hi! Some beginner's questions.

caustic

Another question for lumjooa - "what" are you?

Owning 20 3D engines, keeping track on all of them, being online nearly 24/7 writing many posts, building new tutorials...

... how? :)

LOL, it's just a hobby. Actually I do much more for my real work!

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Well that hit the nail on the head ... lol

That is actually a fact that everything every human says is not a fact, but only their subjective opinion.

So saying "this is my opinion" is kinda useless, since it would need to be added to every single sentence anyone ever says.

We don't even know for sure that we or anything else exist, we might just be simulated by some god.

Some 13 year old god playing simcity with his universal computer :)

That is actually a fact that everything every human says is not a fact ...

Well assuming that you are human I did not read past that as by your own words what you wrote was not a fact ..

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Yeah, but when people realize that nothing is a fact, they start searching for something more interesting. Then they find different people's opinions as the next best thing after those false facts. After that they might even find the people itself interesting, or even better: the things they make and say :)

To understand this, you have to watch this video. Life is just a ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q95kX_EP2Nk

You don't really need that chart:

LE 2 as a game engine, does almost everything you'll need for a 3D game. The only feature that's really criticised is its networking. But if you need that, you can just use a third party library (could be static or dynamic) to handle that. After all, you will already be using Leadwerks as a third party DLL in your language of choice.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

So saying "this is my opinion" is kinda useless, since it would need to be added to every single sentence anyone ever says.

This is the internet and I've found that you almost always have to put "I think" or "In my opinion" around things that are not generally accepted as fact by the majority of the population otherwise people seem to always read it as if you are stating fact. Probably just human nature when reading comments and disagreeing with the idea.

rick, have you met mika?

I know. I shouldn't even be getting into this discussion because it's not going to lead anywhere productive :) For some reason it's just to easy to get into a talk with Mika about his claims being so crazy and off the wall.

LOL, it's just a hobby. Actually I do much more for my real work!

post-12-0-47899600-1305144281_thumb.jpg

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

As I have had Lumooja's posts on ignore for some time now I'm enjoying a new game of guess what Lumooja said from the resulting comments of others .... I think I probably need to get a life :lol:

LE 2 as a game engine, does almost everything you'll need for a 3D game. The only feature that's really criticised is its networking. But if you need that, you can just use a third party library (could be static or dynamic) to handle that. After all, you will already be using Leadwerks as a third party DLL in your language of choice.

I completely agree with this. LE2 is a very capable engine, the only practical limitation I find is the restriction of 5 terrain texture layers which really limits it's ability to reproduce realistic outdoor scenes.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

networking. But if you need that, you can just use a third party library (could be static or dynamic) to handle that. After all, you will already be using Leadwerks as a third party DLL in your language of choice.

Yes, and for networking you would really want the maximum speed which only C++ can deliver, so a BlitzMax networking solution would be rather useless anyway.

There are certain things where you absolutely need maximum speed at all costs, and networking is one of those. AI is another.

BlitzMax is fine as long you use it only to send stuff to the GPU, like LE 2 does.

Guys, I think I found the solution for my initial "problem".

The solution seems to be Cython.

Cython is a Python implementation and I can call C++ functions directly with very few overhead (no header files modification or "glue code" needed).

Also the speed is much faster (because Cython compiles into C++ code) and I can use everything from Python or import this Cython module in Python.

So I can program everything I want in Python and call the LEngine through Cython or I can off-load heavy code into the Cython module and run it there.

Maybe I should use this chance to separate the core game logic (and some AI and some terrain/model loading) from LE what do you guys think?

The good thing about this I could use Message Passing Interface MPI - follows C++ implementation.

It supports point-to-point (sends, receives) and collective (broadcasts, scatters, gathers) communications of any picklable Python object as well as optimized communications of Python object exposing the single-segment buffer interface (NumPy arrays, builtin bytes/string/array objects).

The bad thing about this would be that if LE3 would do everything better (loading models in another thread or something/ streaming bigger terrains) I can scrap all that separation and just use LE3.

If I would have the (alpha-)documentation of LE3 I could write (some crappy) wrapper functions for LE2 for my stuff in cython, which would provide an early LE3 experience...

Later, when LE3 comes out I would just need to scrap those wrapper-functions...

There is a even faster version of something like this which is named "Unladen Swallow" but it got paused when Google removed funding. Sad.

• 1 year later...

Cannot find any description about setting up the LOD Distances - by the lua or in the config file. LOD´s in my vegetation works and is to setup easily in terrain/vegetation properties.

Can you help my please - need it just for the models i´m putting into the scene. It seems there is a "standard" distance, but in some cases i have to setup closer or farer.

Here is an example of how to do it in a Lua script:

require("scripts/class")
local class=CreateClass(...)

function class:CreateObject(model)

local object=self.super:CreateObject(model)

model:SetLODDistance(30,0)
model:SetLODDistance(60,1)
model:SetLODDistance(120,2)

end

Alter the distances or add more levels as required

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++