New here and wondernig about C# specifics

Yeah, but they can be counted as Leadwerks Engine customers, since 3DWS is kinda a part of the engine too. From LE0-LE1 it was even required (or at least very essential), and in LE3 it will be built-in.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Yeah, but they can be counted as Leadwerks Engine customers, since 3DWS is kinda a part of the engine too. From LE0-LE1 it was even required, and in LE3 it will be built-in.

yeah only in YOUR world Mika ...

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

The world is not black and white, so you can use a gray value and be completely true for the people who only see black and white :)

Some things are black and white Mika and you know it ... talking BS wont change that not even if you include a sausage ;)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Humans are black and white, aliens are gray :)

Besides, I can also rephrase than sentence to be ungray:

You would be C# lead programmer of a community of the world's best 3D game engine made by a company with over 10000 customers!

There are roughly 10,000 customers who have bought any Leadwerks product including Cartography Shop, Character Shop, asset packs I no longer offer, on any site, including leadwerks.com, thegamecreators.com, and also including my software sold in bundles with other products, and bulk purchases for massively discounted foreign markets, over a time period of maybe 6-7 years.

What would your opinion be on me working with you to design a .NET wrapper that precisely mimics the C++ interface? I'd also be happy to write proper documentation for it (and have it automatically generated via doxygen). If all works out to your liking, we can work on getting proper (and maybe official) support for the language in LE3.

That sounds good to me, except I would not want separate documentation via doxygen. If C# requires separate documentation beyond the C++ command syntax, then it should be entered into the same database and appear on the same pages. I suppose .NET would be fine for LE2, since it's Windows-only, but LE3 will require Mono or whatever it is that runs on OSX.

I'm not trying to drag my feet and get the community to add value to my product, but I have tons of other stuff to do that are a higher priority than official support for another language, so I haven't paid much attention to C#.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I'm not trying to drag my feet and get the community to add value to my product, but I have tons of other stuff to do that are a higher priority than official support for another language, so I haven't paid much attention to C#.

Higher priority, but perhaps not higher value to the customers. I will critisize this a bit.

It would be actually cool to have official support for more languages, I will at least have soon the Monkey language ready for LE, because I have seen that BlitzMax is no longer actively developed, indeed it hasn't been for years, and I hope the C# community will also have their headers organized soon. If I had more time I would also like to make some ancient language headers, like COBOL, ADA or Fortran, or even Prolog.

How cool would it look if LE had official support for a more languages than any other engine on the planet?

Lua is officially supported by Josh though. He is the Lua leader and even worked with external people at points (I believe) to get some things working with Lua. That's the difference between officially supported and not.

Lua is a mess though, the few times I have used it, I found that half of the commands must be either used procedurally or in OOP fashion. Someone should really check that all commands are available as OOP or procedural and not randomly either or.

Lua is a mess though

That may be the case, but it's still officially supported by Josh and he has made changes to it given user feedback and bugs. Also, if Josh leaves the LE community, LE basically dies which means you don't have to worry about support because it'll be dead. If Joe Blow leaves who was supporting C# from a community standpoint, LE still continues with the other languages but the .NET community suffers.

That sounds good to me, except I would not want separate documentation via doxygen. If C# requires separate documentation beyond the C++ command syntax, then it should be entered into the same database and appear on the same pages. I suppose .NET would be fine for LE2, since it's Windows-only, but LE3 will require Mono or whatever it is that runs on OSX.

Actually mono is simply a different implementation of the .NET runtime and VM. With the exception of applications written using certain libraries, a .NET application will run on mono without so much as a recompile. It's also true in reverse. So it's a non issue. Think of it as Java in this case. At this point mono compiles and runs for Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS and Android.

As for separate documentation, thats fine. The syntax should be pretty much identical with a few slight syntactical differences.

I'll get started today. :)

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

I had every belief that this community would arrive at a sensible solution and it sounds like this point has been reached. Mono is indeed a great choice. Good luck Brent.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I'm in a standby position right now (making art and tests for my game, those tests are done in another engine).

But my plan is to be back when LE3 is released and then see how it will work out.

At that point I will not use any kind of wrapper what so ever. I will use C++ straight from Josh headers and go with that.

The reason for that is simply. I know C++ and has no problems with that, also this way I will be in sync with changes without

any delays or wrapper errors.

I did abandon the C# LE.NET project as there was only a very few that liked it and used it. To much work for a few users.

To those few users I apologize (again!), but in fairness I left a very stable C# wrapper source that those users should have no

problems to update them self. All the tricky parts was done and at that point LE2 was locked for changes or news. So using

LE.NET for the latest LE2 should be no problem.

Personally I will from now on use Josh headers as this leads to less problems and C++ is a great game development language.

Cheers

Roland

AV MX Linux