Questions on high and low poly models.

tournamentdan

I am currently making character models and was wondering how Le renders the models. Can I make a high poly(or in my case quad) character and then place low poly cloths on it to bring the poly count down.

Or another way to ask is can you create two spheres one smaller than the other. Then place the smaller sphere inside the larger one. Will Le only create polys for the larger sphere or will performance be slowed from the two.

And I read somewhere on here that it is good to keep polys for character to around 15,000 to 20,000 (7,500 to 10,000 quads).

How many polys can we have in the camera view and still have good fps.

You can have a million triangles drawn and be fine, but it's a complex issue. Character polys tend to be relatively expensive compared to terrain. I would keep the polycount as low as possible, and most of all make sure the extra polycount is justified by more detail. I've seen 10,000 poly characters that look much less detailed than 4000 poly ones. We've passed the point where more polys = more realistic.

It also matters how many of these characters you expect to have onscreen on average.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.