Stand up, please

flachdrache

So, i dont want to know how far it is or whatever - but i would like to know how many people actually are working on a computer game using leadwerks.

And, if you like to add, which type of game.

PS:

Iam allready aware of the fact that at least three people, working on such, usually aint visiting the forum on a daily basis.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

I am currently working on a game. As usual though the details aren't laid out, but just the basic premise. It's an isometric style camera view where you control a character (a swat guy). The main technical premise is that you can go into any building in a city without any sort of loading. When you go into a building the floors are hidden so it shows a slice of the building so you can see your character (remember it's isometric camera style). You can move around from floor to floor and it'll show the floor you are on but not the ones above. When you exit the building the building is displayed in full again. Using LOD's where the farthest away is pretty much a big block of the building, I should be able to get a pretty large city going.

As a swat guy different crimes will be committed around the city (missions) that you'll have to bust people. Stuff like, save the hostages, kill a leader, collect some evidence etc. The first mission I'm planning is a bank robbery where you have to eliminate.

I would love to have a better main character that is less by the book than a swat guy though. Like some Die Hard movie stuff.I think people prefer playing the rough around the edges good guy, but I don't have a model for that :)

I currently have the pipeline for making the buildings and finishing up the transition for showing/hiding floors as the character moves around the building, tonight.

I'm still working on my game engine design and tools for my game STRANDED which will be a FPS with some Role Playing elements. Progress has been slower than I'd have hoped recently due to other commitments but it is still moving with AI now being the main focus. The intention is to finish a working game engine based on Leadwerks Engine 2 and complete a valuable learning curve. This will then be used to demo the initial level of the game with about 1 hours worth of game play. Decisions will then be made as to the viability of continuing with the game and or engine.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I have two: A quake clone to learn from, and a sort of modern day mobster story, sort of like Mafia ... but without, the mafia bit.

Not much to say about the quake clone, but the other one, is currently designed as an FPS with a cheesy story but attempting to make it otherwise quite realistic.

• Rather than simply using straight line raycasts for bullets, having bullets that are still insanely fast, that over time will:
    • Lose speed
    • Lose altitude
    • Start to spin more erratically

[*]An extension of location based damage

• Being shot in arms causing unstable aiming
    • Being shot in legs causing stumbling movement
    • Hand to hand combat that might knock weapons loose, or cause impaired vision if hit to the head

[*]More realistic sprinting

• Instead of running for 4 seconds and taking 5 seconds to recover. Be able to sprint for about 1 minute, then constantly slowing down for another minute, Recovering taking about 3 minutes if standing still or 6 if constantly moving.

[*]Removing unrealistic accuracy penalties

• Weapons maintain their accuracy whether you are moving, or not. Instead, you'll have less idea where your weapons are pointing. The test for most games is: fire a shotgun and observe the spread against a wall. Now fire the same shotgun whilst running, does the spread get any wider? In my game the spread will stay the same, but where the weapon is pointing will be modified instead.

[*]Physics based projectiles

• In Modern Warfare 2, it was touted as something completely new... "Grenades will roll down hills". Due to using Newton, this will occur naturally, likewise, a grenade does not need to be thrown, you may opt to underarm roll it into a room if you prefer

[*]Ammo types and armour

• Players will rarely be issued with body armour, but aggravating the police enough might cause them to protect themselves.
    • Damage is not calculated as a raw figure, it is dependant on how much energy is in the bullet when it hits you, and the size of the bullet. A fast moving large pointed FMJ bullet will inflict far more damage than a small, slow moving, flat tip hollow point bullet.
    • Different grades of body armour will provide different levels of protection. With "flak jackets" easily holding out handgun bullets but doing little to stop rifle rounds. Ceramic plated vests will provide superior protection, but hitting the same area repeatedly with enough energy might eventually cause the plate to break, where the armour can then be penetrated

[*]Proper reloading

• Standard games have two ammo counters, how much is currently loaded in the weapon, and how many spares bullets you have. However, if you have 27 bullets loaded and 2 spare, doing a reload will give you 29... It's fine for shotguns, but not rifles
    • Instead, for magazine based weapons, you will have a count for how many bullets are in each magazine, and how many are in the weapon's chamber (usually just 1 or zero). So now, suppose you reload from empty, you insert a 30 round magazine, and pull back the bolt, you will now have 1 in the weapon, and 29 in this magazine. You can now swap that magazine for one with a full 30 rounds. Because there is already a bullet in the chamber, you do not need to pull the bolt again, and you will now have 1 + 30 = 31 shots before needing to reload again. Because all of the magazines are counted separately, when you get round to using the 29 round mag, it will still have 29 rounds in it, not 30.
    • Two types of reload "tactical" and "speed". might seem like an awful lot of effort for a mobster, but why throw a mag away if it's not empty? A so-called tactical reload, hang on to it and use it later if you need it - The drawback being that it is slower to put the mag back in your pocket, than to simply drop it on the floor. But why hold onto an empty mag? No reason at all. If you're in a tight spot you might wish to do a speed reload and get firing again sooner, and pick up the half-empty mag later. (It takes time to bend down and pick it up, so don't think you can just speed reload and instantly pick up your dropped mags. I thought of that one already)

There's a lot of planning so far, when I get round to ..trying.. AI, there might be a lot more. But there's no work on this game yet. Must finish quake clone first...

This game is also so brilliant, I haven't even come up with a working title yet :)

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Well not a game but often game assets and visualizations on a every day base for people which do games/sim with Leadwerks. :)

I would like to do a small game and have an idea towards a children/pupils learning game with nice cartoony graphics some driving around in small vehicles and so on. Just the casual style stuff.

At least it will never happen...

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

I would like to do a small game and have an idea towards a children/pupils learning game with nice cartoony graphics some driving around in small vehicles and so on. Just the casual style stuff.

At least it will never happen...

That's kinda exactly what our game is about. Just don't place weapons in the level :)

Maybe you could do some more cars when we have finished the first demo version?

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I am doing an adventure game, or rather a send up of an adventure game with the accent on comedy. Trying to do the lot,both proggamming and artwork. In the last few months my artworkhas improved more than my programming.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Nice ... :), seams like iam not the only one who has to do some new, unknown stuff on the way - great to see that there are so many different game_types people are working on.

I like to add a "shoot`em up" and an action-rpg (FPS) to the list then. :D Currently i setup a testApp to experiment with "camera & cutScene" with the hope to archive some knowledge about movie FX.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

My first project is for an small commercial project for the IPhone, using Unity.

The most I'm allowed to say is it "involves shooting things".

My secondary project is an easy-to-use, simplified (yet secure) Client and Server library for the Leadwerks Community. My goal is to create a simple interface that the programmer can implement like FPS, MMO, or RTS style commands to / from the Leadwerks engine. The server does the rest of the work for you if you don't override the methods yourself. I want this library to be used by those who want complete control, and those who just want something simple. I'm currently writing code for lobbies, server redirects, and a managed user "database".

Once LE 3.0 becomes available, everyone will have the option to create a renderless server.

All other projects are to expand my knowledge and understanding of the game content pipeline using Leadwerks. I have created a basic RTS, a 2.5D Side-Scroller, and the beginnings of an MMO. I sadly have not have had time to bring a Leadwerks game to full completion.

(I have to say, Mumbles you are a typing beast.)

So many projects:

1. Project: Silent Rose - Horror
  2. Aqua - 2.5d Adventure
  3. The last road - First person horror
  4. Project lolcat1 - casual Third person game

project Silent Rose is the only one which is a serious goal, while the last road is purely a project where I am learning how to program, experimenting with level design and game concepts.

Guest Red Ocktober

almost completed (70%) my sub game (finallllyyyyy :D ) in 3DRAD...

RadSkatewip5.jpg?psid=1

the followup in the series will be in LW3 if it's ready... else LW 2.26...

also got a IFR Landing game/sim 50% complete in RAD that i would like to do a series type thing with in LW3... for Mac and Mobile...

3DRAD_IFR5.jpg?psid=1

would love to make both cross platform... so that's one reason for the wait for the LW3...

i gotta get something out by the holidays so i'm going with almost sure thing (3DRAD & sub thing) for now...

oh yeah... plans for LW Mobile only release of 4X4 Grind... a game originated by a talented 3D artist and game designer, which i had a hand in (the coding)...

loading.jpg?psid=1

the pc version (was done for entry into a game comp) of the demo is a free download in case you'd like to check it out click on the image...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

Hey Red Ocktober,

I've never used 3D RAD. What do you find easier about it than LE? You seem to be much farther along in your game with it compared to LE. Is it mainly the water? I know you had issues with LE's water in the past.

hey there Rick...

actually... there are some aspects of 3DRAD that make it a bit more difficult to use than Leadwerks, especially for a project like this subgame thingee where there needs to be several disciplines in place and interactive at one time...

what i mean by that is that there needs to be a depiction of an infinite changing ocean, along with ocean sounds, both above and below the surface...

add to that the infinite nature of the travelling aboard a vehicle... boat, sub, plane, any vehicle... requires an infinite, yet not too boring terrainscape... in my case, the water always has to be there, and some submerged and surface terrain... all of which had to be implemented from scratch in 3DRAD...

lighting is also another factor... not only does it need to be highly dynamic (for changes from inside view to outside view), but also the light changes as the depth changes... the logic had me talking to myself there a few times trying to get it right when the view went from internal to external and the sub was below 500 feet...

also, the lighting in RAD is not as capable as LWerks lighting... to get even close to the same results required a bit of wizardry, and help from some talented shader coders... and after all the effort, it still doesn't equal LWerks lighting...

there are a few other reasons, but to make a long story short... ease of use was not the prime consideration when going with RAD as opposed to going with LW for the first game... my LWerks GameObjects framework seems to make the pure coding track a lot easier as opposed to having to work with the 3DRAD 'game engine' way of doing things...

so, even though 3DRAD looks like it's easier, and it actual can be... when trying to get a 'real' game done which involves more than trival interactions, and reaching for Doom3 like graphics... 3DRAD can become a bit cumbersome and overloaded, and you wind up spending a lot of time implementing these things, and the necessary workarounds... and 3DRAD becomes just as much of a pain as any other development system...

there were some other factors involved in my decision to go with RAD now beyond the ease of use thing... for what i'm doing, RAD is not that much easier than LWerks or Torque...

as for the water... that played a factor in the beginning... but i'd gotten a decent enough water effect in Leadwerks 2.26 which i thought was satisfactory...

LW_2.26_BMaxFw8.jpg?psid=1

... for what i wanted... real time wave action and all.

i was gonna go with that... i really thought that the pre lua versions of Leadwerks were quite impressive... clean, lightweight (though a lil convoluted in spots), it was ready for prime time...

--Mike

I'm still excited about my game (a FP Adventure Mystery) but have had to focus on other things for a while (Spring here and the garden needs attention, also money for bills is required). I'm also wondering about LE 3. At the moment my endeavours have been in LE 2.31. LE 3 will be like a new engine so it leaves the question... will I be able to port my game across? We shall see. :)

post-35-092918900 1287522770_thumb.png

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

Red Oktober, blender game engine is both easier to use and more powerful than 3dRad by leaps and bounds. Leaps and bounds. No offense to RAD though.

Don't forget though, that Mike is a programmer. Chances are, nice simple interfaces are actually more difficult than raw coding. I know that's true for me - C would be much easier than click and drag...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Guest Red Ocktober

Don't forget though, that Mike is a programmer. Chances are, nice simple interfaces are actually more difficult than raw coding. I know that's true for me - C would be much easier than click and drag...

true... so true...

once you get past the most trivial of interactions, implementing the logic becomes more suitable to raw coding than any gui based click and play system...

fortunately, RAD lets me do both...

i've looked at Blender a while back... needed therapy for a month afterwards... :)

thx for the input guys... always appreciated...

--Mike

Learning about blender game engine will set all of your minds free. I cant' prove it. But as the one between us who does know about blender I can say that working in blender game engine is appox. 500% more effecient than working in Leadwerks.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3