42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Version of Leadwerks Are You Using

2. 2. What Language Are You Using

3. 3. Would You Be Interested In GameObjects

• yes... i like the idea of easy OOP programming
    • yes... im primarily an art type and this would be great
    • no... it sounds like a waste of time

Guest Red Ocktober

what i'm really trying to find out is if anyone is using version 2.26... and who is still using 2.31...

i've prety much got singleplayer GameObjects finished... and i'm looking for some testers (no real work)... so i'm putting up a lil questionaire thingee just to find out if it's worth the time to make this available and how...

right now it's BlitzMAX and is 2.26 only, but if anyone's interested in a 2.31 version (doesn't seem to be too much interest in any version at the moment :D:o:D )...

it should be really easy for me to port over to 2.31...

this thing is really kinda neat... the first objects will be an animated mesh (to test each as individual objects), a walking cartoonguy character (to introduce the ControlObject concept) , and i'd like to do a simple car (to show the ControlObject concept allowing the player to interfasce with the game as a car)...

[edited] i'll also probably wind up making a portal object (to show how levels are transitioned in a GameObjects game)...

anyways... thx for taking the time to respond... post comments or questions below if you like...

--Mike

• Upvote 1

almost all versions have something strange.. the best choice before LE3 should be 2.32r5 as it is still under bugfix and probably you have better performance/quality/features there. I know there is some WIP project in forum, and if all of them use same version, maybe they can support each other too..

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

Guest Red Ocktober

well... it's not my intention to try and convince anyione as to which version they should use... i think that this thing that i whipped up should be able to work in any version of Leadwerks... as a matter of fact i'm implementing the changes to make it work in 2.31 as we speak (should also work in 2.32R5)...

personally, 2.31 seems to be the best of the bunch... the only reason i'm using 2.26 is i can get the water to look better...

2.32R5 seems to have something wrong with the particles... they aren't transparent when overlaying water... or terrain... but hey, i luv the way 2.32R5 displays some of the work David Lee has done in his Zone level... (see below)... i've even managed to get the water to look a lil less like mirrored jellatin and a lil more like water :D

anyways... i'm gonna try to get GameObjects to work with all version... let the developer choose...

the first BlitzMax versions should be ready to play around with in a few... c++ code will take a lil while, i'll need a day or two to port the code over...

THANKS guys for responses and the voting...

--Mike

post-65-12774160191765_thumb.jpg

post-65-12774160450382_thumb.jpg

they aren't transparent when overlaying water... or terrain...
They never have been, on terrain yes, but only when you run in Release mode with Ctrl-F5. I will do all particles with 3D meshes anyway, so screw those FPS eating 2D sprites. I need rain also to collide with ceilings, so 2D sprites are useless for real games.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

They never have been, on terrain yes, but only when you run in Release mode with Ctrl-F5. I will do all particles with 3D meshes anyway, so screw those FPS eating 2D sprites. I need rain also to collide with ceilings, so 2D sprites are useless for real games.

Emitters worked over water and terrain before 2.32. The only type of emitter that didn't work with water was one using heathaze/refraction... now they do not work in the editor at all.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Guest Red Ocktober

seems like the particle is not drawn in the transperancy world but in the main world.

yeah... it does... but i looked at the lua script, and it seems to be being drawn in the right world...

is this the latest script?

if fw~=nil then
		SetWorld(fw.transparency.world)
		local velocity = StringToVec3( self.model:GetKey("velocity") )
		local color = StringToColor( self.model:GetKey("color") )
		local i = tonumber(self.model:GetKey("intensity","1"))
		if i==nil then i=1.0 end
		color.x = color.x * i
		color.y = color.y * i
		color.z = color.z * i

oh, btw GameObjects is running in 2.31 with BlitzMax...

--Mike

yeah its the same script that was used in 2.31 as well...

i should clarify my statement above that emitters do not work in the editor... they do not work in lua anymore. A standalone lua script will give the same results that are seen in the editor.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

..im using 2.31 and i have no intention to move to any new version for this game..usually always have too much added work to change things and right now, having in mind number of levels and animations, any change will be massive rework..as for editor..i never used that thingy so i cant say, but i can say that particles(including heat) works fine in all conditions..

It's not just particles, Corona behaviour changed too, as well as the GLOW shader. All Corona light FX and cockpit lighting effects are really dim (can hardly see them), plus the Sun seems to hang in 3D space in 2.32 even though it is supposed to be in the background world with the skydome. In 2.32 you can 'walk' under and around it now :)

Combined with the LOD popup of buildings over our map and no apparent way to adjust the LOD ranges I don't think we'll be switching to 2.32 anytime soon even if it is nearly 50% faster.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

I went back to 2.31 because there were issues with shadows on large terrains in 2.32R5. Can't help but think that 2.32 was prematurely released and I'm hoping that Josh can sort out the bugs so that we can all move forward. :)

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

I busy working on my AI routines using my Leadwerks editor which is currently running 2.31 (which has so far proved very stable). I have no intension of moving up to 2.32 any time soon as I have enough to do without breaking things again. Not saying that 2.32 would definitely do that ... but I'm not taking the risk!

I voted for 'No .. it sounds like a waste of time' simply because I have no need for this myself, not because it sounds like a waste of time. If others find this useful then that's a good thing!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Guest Red Ocktober

BlitzMAX version of GameObjects now tested and working in 2.26, 2.31, and 2.32R5...

what a pain, but based on the poll, there's a lot of folks who took the plunge to 2.32, and most of the rest are using 2.31...

only myself and one other smart :) person is using 2.26...

haven't started on c++ version yet... inconsistencies with sbx data layout is really a pain... now i find entity keys are separated by commas... when before they were separated by spaces... this sorta plays havok with parsing routines for people not using that lua virus...

:D:D

anyways... this is turning out to be really neat... those so inclined will be able to look at it tommaorrow (sorry, today went by too quickly)...

--Mike

Seems that a C++ 2.32R5 OOP version is inevidable :)

I started also to support earlier than 2.3 version in gamelib, but then I didn't care anymore. It may still work, but I test it only with 2.32R5+.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

[#10355] You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

Which Version of Leadwerks Are You Using:

None of the above :unsure: (2.27)

So I put a 2.26 in since they're almost the same. Chances are your water shaders will work if you copy them over to 2.27.

What Language Are You Using:

Other

C for engine commands, C++ for dealing with my own "stuff" (technical name)

Would You Be Interested In GameObjects:

No, I want the "satisfaction" of reinventing the wheel and doing it myself, even if the project takes 5x longer as a result

(Edit) I know the last post time keeps blaming me because I'm the last poster, but I'm not continually bumping the thread. That's just happening because someone has casted a new vote...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)