Video tutorial: #1. Introduction to Lua scripting.

AggrorJorn

I have decided to start making video tutorials for Lua. This render is 640 x 400, but before I render the HD version I want to know if there are any comments from the community or Josh. Perhaps there is a wrong explanation or something important missing in the video. Let me know what you think. Duration: 28 minutes.

The finished video tutorials will be uploaded to Vimeo and Youtube. A resource page will contain the final links.

*edit

Deferred* typo.

Better zooming needed.

Larger font type needed at intervals.

New tutorial added. see the community resources section:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/resources?record=23

The explanation of the lua state refreshing was very good.

You don't actually need the scilexer DLL. I would also copy the interpreter debugger (engine.debug.exe).

At around 22:30, you did misspell "deferred". :lol:

This is a really good runthrough of things. A lot of stuff you mention is thing I wouldn't even think to explain, but when you do I can see how it would be useful for someone brand new to game development, or at least to Leadwerks.

Nice stuff!

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

thanks for your comments.

What does the scilexer.dll do exactly? just curious. I think I will make a part 2 of the intro, where I can explain that we can also use the engine.debugger.exe and how we can convert a lua script to a game script that runs in the editor. It's a lot work if I would have to record that part again, just saying we can copy the debugger as well.

The tutorial will be placed in the community resources today.

This is a really good runthrough of things. A lot of stuff you mention is thing I wouldn't even think to explain, but when you do I can see how it would be useful for someone brand new to game development, or at least to Leadwerks.

Nice stuff!

Yes, Please don't skip on things you think people already know. I do not own Leadwerks "yet", but tutorials that explain the basics may be what ultimately lead me to purchasing. I purchased the Torque TGEA last year, and I've gotten absolutely nowhere (NOWHERE!!!) with it. That is why I am hesitant to purchase another engine. I am just a hobbyist, and I learn from seeing/hearing things, I need tutorials that explain.

Like while exploring this site, I see the code snippet in the Lua section for a chase camera. What is the benefit of creating the camera using script over creating it in C++ or what have ya. I'm such a noob with game development, that is where I get lost, what ultimately decides when to script it vs code it?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

2GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (197.45 Driver)

Windows Vista 32bit

@Fosef:

Don't worry, the tutorials I am planning are aimed towards starters. Your position doesn't differ that much from my own position actually. A year ago I bought the Torque game builder to get me started in game development, but that was a total catastrophy. The program itself was great, but the documentation sucked liked hell. It just wasn't aimed good enough towards newcomers.

I didn't bought this engine just because it looked awesome, the main reason that I bought this engine is because Josh (Creater of Leadwerks) made all of those C++ tutorials. So I know exactly what you mean with "I need tutorials that explain. ".

I am a hobbiest myself but my intensions are to become a professional game developer/programmer. So with absolutely no programming experience at all, I am just trying to make the best of it. I would suggest using the trial kit first till it expires. I also wrote the Leadwerks User guide. This guide is also aimed toward starters, you might want to have a look around in it first before you buy the engine.

The community is really great. friendly and they always try to help.

Lua or C++. Both languages are really good. C++ has the image of being the hardest language to learn. but with the C++ tutorials you actually can get really far. I used C++ before the 2.3 engine came out. I just seem to understand Lua a litlle bit better. Plus you can test it realtime in the engine. This has the advantage thatyou can quickly test your code. espcially if you are just messing around with code and not really fully understand what you are doing. You learn a lot from Lua by trial and error. Lots of pressing a the run game button with every smallest change I make in my program and just see if it works. Afterwords, when it works, I always ask myself if I realise what the code is actually doing.

last thing: whether you will be able to create a game or not, the Leadwerks editor is a beautifull program to have.

• Upvote 1

Having finally recovered from the awesome induced coma I have to say thanks to Aggror, there are a lot of things in here I did not know about especially the part that you can use Framewerk with Lua. I thought you could only use that with the programming languages. So that one nugget of info alone is worth its weight in jellybeans

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Torque documentation sucks for sure.

I work as a web applications developer using VB.NET and ASP.NET, so the C# wrapper is what got me here through google searching, although I'll probably just go with the C++ as I do have some remembrance of it from college.

Yeah, I am an avid gamer and would love to get into game development at some point in the future. The community here does seem nice, and I'm pretty certain you'll be seeing me more in the future.

*EDIT* Purchased!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

2GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (197.45 Driver)

Windows Vista 32bit

Guest Red Ocktober

lemme add my THANKS as well...

i finally have some time to catch up with with the game dev part of my life, and i just took a look at your video...

verrry well done Aggror... good starting point for newbs as well as long time BMax and c++ coders who wanna get familiar with lua...

--Mike

lol for some reason that reminds me of these 2 guys in college who used to share playboys and then when the bathroom was empty they would 'check out' a copy of one of the magazines, just like in a library, in order to 'read the articles'

sounds iffy, but they were two of the coolest guys i've ever known and both absolute chick magnets, but I suppose everyone has a slow day now a then

I'll be sure to check out the articles inside of this Lua pdf, but i won't feel the need to keep a copy under my matress like they did

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Nice tutorials, they will come in useful.

I love your style ;)

@ Jordan: You'r welcome. :P

I have replaced the pdf document with a new one. This is because I have added some self practising excersises. Starters can try their new knowledge by experimenting with these small excersises.

Going to bed bed now.. zzzleepy.