Importing fbx gets weird after scaling import update

I'm using Beta 4.6. I remember that there was an update which affects fbx files recently

I exported a fbx model from blender to my game. with these settings

image.png.aeca8f9d307055c7aaa8d7fc43fe046d.png

After importing to LE, I can't choose model by clicking on it, choosing from Scene tab is the only way

There is no picking on the model too (I checked material with Pick Mode = true), world:Pick from my gun can not interact with the model

There is no red color when model was selected as usual

image.png.e2e5fbdde7e94556c09048c2a4c1def4.png

I attached this imported model here for you guys to check out

banquetchair.7z

• Thanks 1

We use Newton for polygonal picking as well as physics. There seems to be a lower threshold of triangle size that experiences problems so I have a check that omits triangles with a surface area below a certain size.

Your chair probably has vertices that make the object really tiny, but the scale of the object makes it bigger to cancel this out. But the vertex values themselves are still really tiny so they are getting skipped.

You can fix this by collapsing the object in the model editor, which will reset the scale to 1,1,1.

I have considered using something else for polygon picking but I can't find anything else that does a pick with radius (a swept sphere collision test).

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Collapsing the chair works, and I understand the problem of triangle size.

I tried to scale up model 10 times in blender then export to fbx with scale setting = 1 then it worked too. But the model in editor was too big (bigger than a building) then I must resize in Model Editor, it is so annoying if there are many models. By the way, I can't collapse a character model because all bone will be wiped out.

The problem is I no longer use real life unit in blender (Metric) to export to LE like 4.5 (without blender export plugin).
With 4.5, 100 cm in blender means 100cm in LE and objects are still pickable, not in 4.6 new import feature

Ah, and with this unpickable chair, even without collapsing, physic shape still works when mass > 0 and Collision.Prop. It just can not be picked.

• Josh pinned this topic

The only difference is going to be that non-uniform scaling will not work anymore.

In 4.4 if you have a house that is scaled to (10,2,10) a pick with radius will be scaled to a squashed sphere to match the scale of the object.

In the next build the x component of the scale will be used and the pick sphere will stay round.

I do not think this is a big issue.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Josh unpinned this topic
  • Josh locked this topic