Z-sort shadow?

havenphillip

Is there any way to get a Z-sort material to pick up shadow? I made this cool planet with clouds that are layered over the top. It looks cool with it set to Alpha but I have to use Z-sort to do it and the lack of shadow on the bottom left is bothering me. I tried it the other way by using the "Diffuse + Alphamask" but I can't fine tune the alpha channel because it vanishes from the center where it's transparent outwards and the lower I go the more cloud I lose, plus the edges are too sharp that way.

Or is there a way to use the "Diffuse + Alphamask" and set an alpha channel adjustment that makes it evenly transparent?

planet.png

Yeah I thought about that. I tried a quick version but it was tacky I didn't see much potential. Maybe if I worked on it more I could make that work. The planet material and the cloud material are turning at slightly different speeds, which is kinda cool. And I can adjust the alpha on the clouds right in the code rather than going back and forth in GIMP. But I may end up doing that. I was hoping there is some little trick somewhere I might not be aware of.

15 hours ago, havenphillip said:

Yeah I thought about that. I tried a quick version but it was tacky I didn't see much potential. Maybe if I worked on it more I could make that work. The planet material and the cloud material are turning at slightly different speeds, which is kinda cool. And I can adjust the alpha on the clouds right in the code rather than going back and forth in GIMP. But I may end up doing that. I was hoping there is some little trick somewhere I might not be aware of.

You need a custom shader that will display the clouds and planet surface on the same surface, and scroll the cloud texture slowly. This is fairly easy to do.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm looking through a tutorial on shaders right now from the Leadwerks wiki. I want to learn it. Where do I start? Is there a shader that comes to mind that is close to what you're describing that I can start messing with?

Also what does "surface drawn with no active shader" mean?