Interior room creation

darrenc182

What is the best way to create interior rooms for use in Leadwerks in order to have optimal frame rates and stability? The reason I ask is because I created an entire level as just one mesh and I am getting horrible frame rates (between 16 and 20 fps). When I just have a simple section, like a hallway or an office, the fps is fine (around 90). Is it a good idea just to break up an entire interior level into smaller sections or is there something else that can be done in order to get optimal frame rates?

Intel 2nd Generation i5 Quad Core Running at 3.30GHz. 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1024MB DDR5.

Do you have lighting? Pointlights can slow things down, spotlights less so.

What graphic card do you have?

I've got lighting. I am using Pointlights. I also have a Geforce 8800 GS with 320 MB of RAM.

Intel 2nd Generation i5 Quad Core Running at 3.30GHz. 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1024MB DDR5.

Your graphics card should be well capable of handling things. Directional lights are the most costly but not really needed in interior levels.I did a huge level with 3dws and put it in editor in 1 big chunk.Currently my fps is 90 to 120.I only have 5 pointlights and 37 spotlights.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I am getting horrible frame rates (between 16 and 20 fps)

That doesn't sound right. What software are you using to create your level? I'm using 3dws and quite a detailed room is over 100fps.

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

Based on Josh's pdf, both you Gordon and cassius would get even better fps if you had them as separate models instead of one large mesh.

I think what you guys should list for a comparison for darren is the number of polygons of your large meshes as compared to what he has for his large mesh.

Also another thing darren should look at are the new settings for pointlight shadows. Perhaps changing that setting would help.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

In the editor about 25000 polys as far as I can see but my eyesight is not brill.

I have a screen size of 1400 by 900.I have tried 800 by 600 full screen which improves fps but messes up my desktop

ie changes colour and taskbar moves up to middle of screen.

EDIT: I get fps 300 on 800 by 600 fullsdreen

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I finally got the performance I need. I had more polygons that what was needed for the level's geometry. I just have to keep the polygon levels down and I should be fine. Thanks for all the info guys.