Scaling

Rick

I buy models from various places and scaling is one of the biggest pains. Every model has a different scale and it's so time consuming to get the scaling right. Is there a program that I can load a bunch of models at once and allow me to scale them easier?

Maybe I do this wrong, but generally I open the model in UU3D, scale it to some value. Save it to gmf. Open up the Editor. Place the model, run the fpscontroller script and compare it to the height/size of the default LE controller which is a height of 1.8. If the model isn't right I then redue the process and change the scale. But I have a ton of trees and houses.

I know I can scale in the editor but it's horrible and I'd just prefer to have all my models the correct scale on disk. What can I do?

If I do ScaleTo in UU3D to 0.01 on this character it's way to small compared to the 1.8 controller default.

I guess my point is doing trial and error for every model is just to big of a pain. There must be a better way.

I think what would be nice is a program that allows you to load multiple models in at a time and scale each one individually so you can use each model against each other to get the correct scale, then save them individually?

My understanding of scaling systems in 3D programs is that there isn't a standard? They all seem to use different scaling numbers? So I assume that if I find the correct value to enter in UU3D's ScaleTo for one model it won't be the same for another?

well you could always open the models up in a free modeling software such as blender and re-save the meshes, right?

I am not accustomed to using blender myself, but I dont see why that shouldnt be a viable option.

Another alternative is perhaps wings3d or another free modeling application.

As long as you can keep the meshes separate picking them out again and exporting them to their own model files should be a breeze.

I use modo myself because it is really easy to use, however, I wouldnt reccomend forking out a thousand dollars just to scale models ;)

PS: import each model into their own mesh/layer/object (whatever the application calls it). Some modeling applications may require you to copy your mesh, open a new scene, pasting the mesh, then exporting, to get only the desired mesh in the exported model file. Having them in seperate meshes/layers/objects will also allow you to scale the entire model without scaling the other models (in most applications).

Win7: 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM DDR3, Radeon HD 6970 2048MB

They all seem to use different scaling numbers?

3d programs use different types and it depends on the artist and how he sets them up.

I usually use a 0.1 grid (to get proper grid snapping in all engines) and a metric scaling. Other people use just units and dont know how large the model will be.

My models are swapped from one game engine to another and I never had problems. Scaling is also done in the exporter or in the engine (if it has a scale feature).

I think there is no other way then using a cheap/free modelling app and do the rescaling work. Or buy matched packs for your engine. ;)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

There is no easy way of doing this but as the scales often do vary from model to model although are usually consistant within model packs. I normally use the 'Scale To' option in UU3D Pro and work on the basis of 1 unit being 1 Leadwerks unit. This normaly gets me reasonably close and a little fine tuning gets me there.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

• 2 weeks later...

or you can get the people you are buying the models from to scale it for you. If you send them an example file of say... the official Leadwerks dude, as a reference, they might scale it for you. They should really.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

I think your scale operation just multiplies the object's vertex positions or matrix scale. So your objects are still out of proportion with one another, but are each bigger or smaller, depending on the scale value you input.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.