Propulsion Starship light

Joh

We need to reproduce this on Leadwerks.

propulsion.JPG

We try with particle and it can work for smaller ship, but it absolutely not good for bigger ship (wich a propulsion radius of 50 meters), partcile will drain too many fps for it.

Any technical art advice that could help us will be really appreciate.

Intel Corei7-6700, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, 32GB DDR4, W-10.

i think you need to get a glow bloom shader in your mat file

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

We did it, but it's looks static and not really good.. Particle were better because it create a sort of trace effect (or trail whatever you wanna call it )

We tried both. No luck or at least not what we search for, don't misunderstood me, both glow and bloom are nice effect but this is not really the effect we was searching for.

We are trying to reproduce the particle effect (as for smaller ship) but using a big size particle it drain more fps.

Let me said too much for us. (250 fps for small ship, 60 fps for big ship)

I am not even sure that was a 2.3 bug (i only recently downloaded the 2.3.1.) but it any cases i think this is quite normal..

Can you make a good screenshot on how the propulsion looks? I can then better image what to do to replicate the effect with other techniques.

Of course but monday.. I am working at the moment and after i'll have 3 days of holiday!

and maybe for the trace effect you can use alpha mapping

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

[ dreamhead.png

and maybe for the trace effect you can use alpha mapping

What do you mean? Simply use alpha on the end of the of texture?

Already tried but there other problems, as the texture if still (scrolling texture doesn't help too much), also this type of effect it need to "change" as with speed 0 (it will off) and as maximum speed it will be longer.

Ribbon emitters, are a kind of particle that are used to leave trails behind things, like swords, or spaceships (see Homeworld), aircraft wingtips. They are sometimes called other things, Ogre3D has them except they call them Ribbon Trails. They are a low rent way of doing what I think you're trying to do.

Problem with using normal particles for exhaust trails is you need a lot of them for a decent effect which is spoiled as soon as the source is moving at speed, they can thin out till you see the individual particles. And if you use a lot of particles the fill rate can go through the roof.

I had a little go making ribbons in LE (using GL_QUAD_STRIPS) as I need them for something later, had to move on to something else. But I found this which might be useful Basic Ribbon Trails.

It would be a cool addition to the emitter system.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Well unfortunately no screenshoot right now.. I come back yesterday night from holiday i was a little tired!

I'd like to see a high-res image or video showing what you are trying to do, and the scale of your player's ship.

Ok, i'll try to show you an high res image. Also the player ship isn't so big (4x4) and you see it from a cockpit.

I have problem with cruiser wich are 300x200 unit. Also the propulsion hole is quite big (50 radius) that's causing a big fps loss using only particle.

Hi,

sorry if i misunderstood something but, have you tried an animated texture to represent the effect you want instead of a particle ?

mmm Animated textures? I didn't know you was able to use it on Leadwerks.. How could you? I tried to scroll it but the result wasn't so nice.

I found out that using 4 emitters (4 jet engines) for contrails per plane for 50 airplanes wasn't such a good idea for my airport management game

Well you should really design the game in a way where there is no such amount of particle, i mean you can let visible the particle only near the cam or some other way. There is no engine that allow you to do everything you want. Many games use trick, we should do the same.

We choose to create a starship game trying to minimize the amount of ship in game, using cruiser, so if there are already 10 ship on game ai cannot release other, if 1 is killed 1 is released.

This is just a small picture of the ship (renderized from 3d editor and not really textured.)

Dragoon.jpg

Thx for all the posts.

can you show a pic whit Particle trace effect

bwt:nice schip :)

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

[ dreamhead.png

Well unfortunately no screenshoot right now.. I come back yesterday night from holiday i was a little tired!

I forgot to write that i am working right now.. So not today. I hope to show you the particle tomorrow morning but i am not sure.. One of my team told me that he have the solution, so i should check with him..

I hope he found a good solution!

Well you should really design the game in a way ..

Yeah and you are absolutely right. I think those 3D ribbons would be perfect for my purposes. No idea how to do them, yet.

Core i5-750 - GTX 460 1GB - 12GB DDR3 - Win 7 x64

We found a solution wich won't include any particle, thx to all for the support and sorry me if i wasn't able to show you what was exaclty my problem :)

We are trying to use a cone based mesh, or if we can't see a good result we simply use a circle base shape on propulsion hole (covering it) and change the intensity of the color, using bloom.

I hope you understand..

I think you can get better effect with some "corona"s there. in static or as particles..

however when I change it's color, its material will be strange in 2.31(and it's correct in 2.3).

if you had same problem, I think you should modify corona shader (corona.frag I guess)

one more suggestion using corona is to edit corona.dds like smudged light..

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)