Script:Delete() vs Script:Detach()

thehankinator

Is this a typo? If not, Delete() appears not to be called when the script is removed from the object, under what conditions does an object have a script removed but not deleted?

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/api-reference/_/script-reference/

Script:Delete()

This function is called when the entity it is attached to is deleted from memory. Use this to release any resources you allocated in the Script:Start() function.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/lua-scripting-r12

Script:Detach()

This function will be called when the script is removed from the object, or if the object is deleted.

Script::Delete() is from the LE3.0 days and has been 'replaced' with Script::Release(). Everything in LE should be released and the engine will take care of the rest.

I never used Detach personally so I can't tell you what it'd be good for.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Script::Delete() is from the LE3.0 days and has been 'replaced' with Script::Release(). Everything in LE should be released and the engine will take care of the rest.

I never used Detach personally so I can't tell you what it'd be good for.

So neither the tutorial or the reference pages are correct? Do you know where Script:Release() is documented? I don't see it on either page.

That's for Object:Release(), the documentation I am looking for defines the the behavior of Script:Release() if it exists in a script that is attached to an entity. Similar to Script:Start(), Script:UpdateWorld(), etc. The links in OP have Script:Detach() or Script:Delete() but nothing about Script:Release() which Reep says superseded Script:Detach() and/or Script:Delete() but the tutorial and reference do not match (one has Script:Detach() the other Script:Delete()) and neither have Script:Release() defined.