Getting the correct brush size for trigger.

reepblue

Hey all,

I've created a trigger class that on touch stores the entity in a list, and checks a listed entity left the bounds in UpdatePhysics. The code I have works fine, but I'm running into an issue that it seems that the extra padding for brushes are causing incorrect values. The entity has to leave the volume, plus a few centimeters for the onendTouch function to be called.

Here is the UpdatePhysics code.

void SimpleTrigger::UpdatePhysics()

{

if (!m_bEnabled)

return;

if (!m_bHadCollision)

return;

if (m_hTouchingEntities.size() <= 0)

return;

list<Entity*>::iterator iter = m_hTouchingEntities.begin();

for (iter; iter != m_hTouchingEntities.end(); iter++)

{

// zentity is the entity where looking for.

Entity* zentity = *iter;

if (zentity)

{

if (entity->GetDistance(zentity) > entity->GetAABB(Entity::GlobalAABB).size)

{

onendTouch(zentity);

break;

}

}

}

While this works really well, again, I think the extra AABB padding is getting in the way. I also feel that the for loop is a bit over the top/expensive way of doing this. Any help to make this work better would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Isn't the AABB box supposed to not be used for collisions? There's nothing really you can do about that. Personally, I would just use collisions for triggers. Otherwise, use some quick rectangular prism intersection test.

In terms of the loop efficiency, it's hard to determine whether that would be a good setup or not depending on the application. But there are probably better techniques to use. You could use a KD-tree so that you don't need to test every entity. IDK how costly it is to set up each frame compared to your list approach though. I wouldn't use the "list" data structure. Use "vector" instead if you are going to use a list like you are using. With "list" you are going to be building a chain of pointers, so you will have fragmented memory and get more cache misses, so your loop will be less efficient.

Also, I would avoid using GetDistance() and just square the second term. Implement your own distance function without the use of square-root.

I do use the collision hook for adding objects to the touch list. It's removing the object from the volume is my issue. I tried the Enter/Exit trigger script on the old wiki, but it only detects if all objects are out.

I'm also using list because vector doesn't seem to have a way or removing an object from it.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Ah ok, I didn't know there were no hooks or anything for leaving an entity. Why not program a box intersection test yourself though? Then you'd have as much control as you would need. You would need to scan through all entities at startup and then calculate the highest +x, -x, +y -y, +z, and -z values for the vertices of a mesh.

You can remove elements from a vector. You should just swap the element you want to remove with the last element and use pop_back(). Don't use the erase() method though. A vector is just an array behind the scenes whereas a list is not.