Keep variables on map change

Angelwolf

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how I can keep variables when changing maps.

For example, if a player has 50 hit points and goes to the next map, I would like that player to remain with 50 hit points rather than having them reset to 100 when the next map loads.

To build on josk's answer if you do go global variables (I would maybe look at file i/o for this unless you want it to work on the game player) make a global table and store the values in there inside Main.lua. It'll just be easier to organize things that way vs loose variables.

• Upvote 2

If i add the variable Josk suggested, how do i call that variable in FPSPlayer.lua?

Im assuming its Script.heath = HitPoints, but that doesnt seem to work.

Edit:

Ok, I literally used find and replace in FPSPlayer.lua for self.health to Hitpoints, which made it work. Thank you!

One other thing though, How exactly would I go about using file i/o?

I wouldn't be in a hurry to use file i/o if you are just using LUA, as that would probably preclude the use of the game player, which requires sand pit mode, and using file i/o will probably mean you cant get your game published as easily. If you have a requirement for file i/o and it would be general purpose and safe, Josh may code some new api, to wrap up your functionality that would then allow that to be added, like he did for the high score board.

• Upvote 1