House

Angelwolf

House

I've decided to start keeping a log of my new game, "House".

Heavily inspired from the original Resident Evil games, House will be a first person survival horror. No gimmicks or trying to do things that haven't been done before - just a damn creepy environment with few supplies to keep you going. Atmosphere will be key. I think this project will give me a lot to work on, and no doubt I will learn a lot on the way.

Prepare to enter the survival horror. Prepare to enter House.

Video demo:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So far I have made a basic HUD as well as some door transitions. Porting to rooms with multiple doors was tricky because I needed to find a way to tell the scripts where to spawn the player. This is done by setting flags from the last room visited, and then spawning the player at the relevant door in the next room.

• Upvote 6

I love it. I strongly recommend you publish whatever you have now, and then continue to update it.

I really don't think that there's enough there to warrant publishing yet. Literally three rooms connected by two doors.

For progress though, the empty room has become a bathroom and the door has changed to wood, rather than the makeshift paint texture before. Added some new sound effects and managed to enhance the spawning script so it includes rotating the player to the correct direction.

Bathroom_WIP.jpg

Bathroom work in progress

• Upvote 1

Well, OK. I'll publish it. I'll put a disclaimer on there so people don't think they're getting anything other than a lump of Work in Progress.

If anyone does try it out, please let me know your thoughts, suggestions and comments :).

• Upvote 1

Ok, so I amended Main.lua to get rid of the auto-fullscreen thing I always have a habit of leaving on. I've also added an extra door in the main hall way. To get it, the player will need to find the key. At the moment, this is more of a test to try and create a locked door, I doubt the room will remain the same as development continues, but you never know!

The key isn't too difficult to find right now. I won't give spoilers now, but if you really can't find it then message me and I'll tell you.

If you make a music type of box then please let it play this music biggrin.png

Not quite sure that would work so well.... unless I distorted it? :P

Nice atmosphere.

Are you loading worlds between doors?

Yes, essentially each room is its own level. Global variables are used to store specific details about interactions the player has made to help continuity between room changes (eg, if an item has already been collected, it won't reappear even if the room is reloaded)

Originally I couldn't get this to start. It just wouldn't load. I tried again yesterday and it loaded fine. I note that you changed auto full screen so maybe that was the cause ( or it could just be my computer ).

Nice atmosphere. I like the animation between door openings. Interesting that each room will be its own map. Are there going to be multiple puzzles to solve in each room?

The sound stops playing when you are not facing a door. Is this on purpose?

Good start.

Yes, essentially each room is its own level. Global variables are used to store specific details about interactions the player has made to help continuity between room changes (eg, if an item has already been collected, it won't reappear even if the room is reloaded)

Is there a reason why you are loading new maps for each room? It just seems a little unnecessary. You can still do the transitions like that and such without loading a map for each room. I love the old school door opening transition but back in those days there was a need to actually load new maps for each room.

A new map for each room means I will not be restricted in the layout of the house. I can make a room but Have the option to easily change its geographical location in the future without much further hassle than simply changing where a door transition goes to.

Sound should be constant, not just when looking at a door. I haven't noticed this before, is it happening to anyone else too?

You can still do that without loading a new map. Nothing says inside your map the house has to be all in order. You can literally have pieces of your map laid out all over the place in the 3D world. Just place starting pivots to each room and teleport the player there between transitions. This would avoid any noticeable pauses in the game while the map is loading since LE doesn't handle loading maps in the background on another thread. There are for sure pauses I notice when going from room to room and the more complex the rooms become the longer the pauses will be. To have a smoother transition you might want to consider having all these rooms just laying around wherever in your 1 map and put that loading time of the map up front on game start. Just an idea to make smoother transitions without much pause in them.

You can still do that without loading a new map. Nothing says inside your map the house has to be all in order. You can literally have pieces of your map laid out all over the place in the 3D world. Just place starting pivots to each room and teleport the player there between transitions. This would avoid any noticeable pauses in the game while the map is loading since LE doesn't handle loading maps in the background on another thread. There are for sure pauses I notice when going from room to room and the more complex the rooms become the longer the pauses will be. To have a smoother transition you might want to consider having all these rooms just laying around wherever in your 1 map and put that loading time of the map up front on game start. Just an idea to make smoother transitions without much pause in them.

This isnt a feature I considered previously, but might perhaps use as development continues. Out of interest, how much of a pause are you seeing between rooms? Should be a second or two as thats the way I made the door sequences, but shouldnt be much longer than that. Thought that many miniature load sequences would be nicer than one really big one, but I could be mistaken. I quite like the suspense when waiting for the next are to load.

My main concern would be that it'll be volatile pausing in time based on how many entities and things you are doing per room. Right now it's a couple seconds but I'm only trying project outward when you have more things going on. You aren't loading any characters but they generally take longer to load with all the bones and such vs basic static models. The more complicated your rooms the longer and more volatile (less predictable for you) it'll become. Just throwing out ideas on this, not like I hold the key to everything :). Just food for thought.

My main concern would be that it'll be volatile pausing in time based on how many entities and things you are doing per room. Right now it's a couple seconds but I'm only trying project outward when you have more things going on. You aren't loading any characters but they generally take longer to load with all the bones and such vs basic static models. The more complicated your rooms the longer and more volatile (less predictable for you) it'll become. Just throwing out ideas on this, not like I hold the key to everything :). Just food for thought.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll definitely keep this in mind if load times are becoming a problem as the game develops. This is what I love about the Leadwerks community: genuine, constructive feedback from Leadwerks devs on the same level. And Josh, naturally, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Basic title screen added and a new room - the main entrance hall. The entrance hall is connected to the green hallway that I'm sure you have already seen. Also added some creepy music and slightly changed the way in which the Sword Key door works.

Given the zombie character pack is on sale, I decided to pick it up. Had a play around with the stock ai script to make them more zombie like. Added one zombie into Sword Key room for testing purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

Havent worked on this for a while given Christmas shopping, new job and new PS4 games. But my next step will be to make equipped weapons transfer from one room to the next. Im assuming this can be achieved in a similar way to my player heath using global variables, but Im yet to find a way to actually get this working.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been a long time. I mentioned in another thread that I haven't used LE for quite some time. My laptop died and I've not managed to get my files back from the HDD so I have started over on this project using new techniques and skills I have learned from competitions since, as well as using some of the new features added to the engine.

It's now all being handled within a single world so far as per advice from many moons ago!

New WIPs(es?!):

20170705205953_1.jpg

20170705211135_1.jpg

20170705211224_1.jpg