3DWS .smf meshdata jindo engine

Lith

Hey everyone,

ive been having very serious trouble with reading meshdata from an old game (warrock). The mesh files are saved in .smf format, but im not sure if this is something custom or if it was made with 3DWS.

From what I read .smf was a unique file format for the leadwerks engine so there shouldnt be any other engine using this. However the meshs I am facing (Jindo engine from DreamExecution) look exactly the same. The header contains a version, a filename and there is a filepath to the texture (barricade_02.dds in this case), the rest is unreadable with editors.

Can anyone try to open this/confirm me on whether this mesh was made with 3dws? I couldnt test 3dws for now, since it doesnt work with win8.

Attached a mesh file and its .dds texture. Thanks.

mesh.zip

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That help file is awesome. I've owned it for years and never bothered to look at it. The file format explanations are very interesting.

I tried getting 3dws to load it but it becomes unresponsive. So either the format has been heavily modified or they created their own smf file format. There is another smf format that is similar to the obj but it is not binary like these are.

I do not know if that game is related. I have never heard of it.

The "SMF" file format was originally meant to be the Singularity Model Format. During development of Leadwerks 1.0 this was one of the names I was considering. This was before the game Singularity existed. The idea came from a William Sleator novel, author of the excellent book Interstellar Pig.

My old game Metal also has an arena map named "Dead Space" that predates that game.

In the end, inspiration came to me over a few beers. As usual.

post-1-0-48467400-1445958667.jpg

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 8 months later...