EntityDistance and Scale

Rick

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but the math will be easiest if you give the mesh dimensions of 1.0 when it is scaled 1,1,1. I assume you are trying to make a mesh span from one point to another.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah, I'm trying to scale a mesh from 1 point to another. I kind of have it working although I don't know 100% why it works.

I put a pivot at the point of a character and another at the point of where the mouse is clicked on the terrain. Between these 2 points I get the distance between the x & z only. I then use that distance / 10 in the z value of ScaleEntity() and it seems to scale the plane correctly. I also point the character pivot to the mouse clicked pivot and then rotate the plane along the y.

This all works, although I don't know why 10 is the magic number to divide by the distance. I also need to increase the segments of the plane a lot since the scale distance can be pretty far it needs a ton of segments in order to hug the terrain.

TPick p;
CameraPick(&p, GetLayerCamera(GetFrameworkLayer(0)), Vec3(MouseX(), MouseY(), 5000));
TPivot mousePivot = CreatePivot();
TPivot ownerPivot = CreatePivot();

// TODO: This doesn't work, but we only want to set things if it's on the terrain only
if(p.surface != 0)
{
	PositionEntity(mousePivot, Vec3(p.X, p.Y, p.Z));
	PositionEntity(ownerPivot, GetOwner()->GetPosition());

TVec3 p1 = EntityPosition(mousePivot);
	TVec3 p2 = EntityPosition(ownerPivot);

// Get 2D distance
	float x = p2.X - p1.X;
	float y = p2.Z - p1.Z;
	x = x * x;
	y = y * y;
	float distance = sqrt(x + y);