Texture Compression/Uncompressed Large File Size

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure if its a bug or an optimisation but here goes anyway.

Ths attached water_mask.png file is a piece of stand in art for a GUI element in our game. Its pixel dimensions are large and doesn't reflect the end result in pixel size we will use, but it did help me notice the following.

The attached water_mask.png dimensions are a large 2274 x 3200 with its actual file size 45.3kb it is the 1 colour (black) with alpha.

- Drop the attached texture into the texture folder in the editors file system to have it converted to .tex

- Browse to the texture in explorer and note that the texture is converted to a 5,462mb tex file

- Open up the texture in the texture editor the settings default to DXT1 and mipmaps checked.

- If I change the texture to Uncompressed and turn off mipmaps the texture size jumps to a massive 28,425mb.

So is there a potential problem/optimisation here as the file size seems very large with and without compression settings above compared to the original png file?

Cheers

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0