One 4096 or four 1024

DarthRaff

Hi,

I have that question:

Is better to use four textures 1024x1024 or one 4096x4096 where are the four 1024x1024 together in, for example , a interior of a mansion?

I have this doubt now when i'm remaking my model of a mansion using milkshape 3d(because i don't like the difficult of other programs like 3dsmax or blender) since we can't load 3dws models(i know we can pass 3dwstogmf but is better not for me). So what do you think about? thanks

I would make actually four 4096x4096 textures to get maximum quality.

Then you can also make low-end version of the game by replacing the 4096x4096 textures with 1024x1024 textures,

and you don't need to change anything in code or assets for the low-end version of the game.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

One surface using one texture is faster than four surfaces using four textures. However, I don't think there is any significant difference, and you should use whatever makes things easier for you. I can't imagine it would be easy trying to make a big image containing all your different textures.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 1 month later...