Shadow Rendering Problem

digman

I putting this here as I do not know if this is a bug or I am just missing something or is the shadow rendering distance hard coded?

When I put a appox. 35 meter (appox 115 feet) brush wall in the engine.The shadow for the wall only goes a certain distance and does not traverse the whole length of the wall...

My setup

New Map.

Two brush objects, one for the floor, one for the wall.

appox length of the wall and floor 35 meters...

default directional light moved to create the shadow. ( static and dynamic)

I place the fps player at the 30 meter mark on the floor using the grid. Run the map and the wall shadow is not rendered to the end of the wall. As I walk backwards it continues and more of the wall shadow disappears.

Question, am I missing something here, maybe something added to the lua script?, The FPS player script?

Under the light tab, range as no effect, infinite has no effect under the appearance tab... Scale has no effect...

Linux 3.1 Standard, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64 bit.

Any help here, I would be thankful for or if it is a bug this post can be moved there by the Admin.

That's normal for directional lights. They have a limited distance they can cover. Increasing the light quality in options can use an extra stage and extend this distance further. It should fade out gradually at the end.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Josh, thanks for the quick reply..

Increasing the light quality helped a little though the effect is still there. It's just good to know how the directional light works...

I will use the spot light by changing the settings under the light tab to be more like a sun which I have done in other software... biggrin.png

@Josh - What would you suggest if I want to build a level that has lots of tall structures (skyscrapers)? This restriction does not allow us to build atmospheric scenes as you would always have a (full-bright) cut-off at some point.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Doing some more forum checking, I came across these two threads on setting a light quality in the App.lua script. This really did help the rendering distance (extra stages) for the directional lighting when running the map. The rendering distance now is good for what I need and it also fixed some light bleed issues inside of some model hallways. My walls are plenty thick...LOL so no worries there..

Cascaded Shadow Maps, I have been reading about today, very interesting..

I added the below to the App.lua script.

self.world:SetLightQuality(2)

I will give both threads, You as a user read them and decide if you want to use the two settings possible as Josh made a few comments about their use.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/9061-incorrect-lightning-shadowing/

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/9266-light-bleed-at-csg-intersections/

• Upvote 2