Installing Lua for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

digman

Hi all I am posting this because questions will come when others need to install Lua in Linux

I completed the install of Lua version 5.1 for 12.04 LTS in preparation for the new Leadwerks 3.1 linux version.

At the Ubuntu forum it is stated that Lua 5.1 is the officially supported version for 12.04 LTS.

I am sure other versions would work but I am not a linux guru so I stuck with this version of Lua.

I ran a simple Hello World script from the terminal to see if Lua was working correctly, so far so good...

I did find that the lua script needs to reside in my home directory though If I brush up on linux commands then I think I could place the file in another directory and just put in the right path...

This is the method I choose and the easiest:

Open the terminal.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install lua5.1

This is the Ubuntu forum where I obtained my information. I had ran into the same problem the poster encountered when I tried to compile Lua version 5.2.3

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2139812

I had used these terminal commands posted at the Lua site to make the compiling easy but this was aborted has you got the fatal errors when you ran make linux test. There is also a detail instruction for compiling but I choose the simpler method.

The terminal commands where I got the fatal error listed above.

url -R -O http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.2.3.tar.gz

tar zxf lua-5.2.3.tar.gz

cd lua-5.2.3

make linux test

What appears to be the problem is the path is not set or the directory it is looking for does not exist. When I came across the information from the forum, I went ok so I do not have to dig around the net to find the right commands or read the detail instructions at the LUA site. I did the search for commands when I installed Cuda in my Linux system.

Since I am not a linux guru, though linux commands remind me of the old DOS days, I hope this will help others and anyone whose is a experienced linux user can post here to help others as well. Plus you can correct any errors you might see in my post.

That information would be good posted and pinned somewhere, since I pre-ordered and did not see that the lua library for linux would be included in the game engine...

Thanks for the heads up...

Even if it didn't have it builtin packages have been auto installing dependencies for the past 17 years or so.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Guppy, then you the linux man!! biggrin.png

Aggror, I think you are correct though it never hurts for me to learn more about Linux...

I really should take the time to learn my way around the terminal like when I learned dos back in the day but I rather go 3d sculpt, 2d paint or listen to music today...

I got the game engine so I can put game assets into the engine for testing and also for just creating scenes with models. It just darn fun to walk around a 3D sculpture and scenes you created instead of static renders...