Prospective purchase questions

luxgud

I am interested in purchasing a Leadwerks 3.1 Standard licence when it becomes available.

I have good experience in Unity, CryEngine and UDK SDK as I teach these subjects. What I am primarily interested in is giving my students more C++ programming challenges and this is an area that I think they need to do more. From what I can see, Leadwerks would appear to meet this requirement.

I have a few questions please:

1. Is an educational discount available for, say, 17 Standard licenses ?

2. Would it work on a college network and are there other college using it already?

3. I understand the game is royalty free but does the executable have a water mark or any reference to Leadwerks eg a splash screen ?

4. Is more documentation planned ?

(Please don't ask me to send this to support)

Thanks

1. Not that the community here knows of.

2. Not as far as I know.

3. There is no splash logo or watermark

4. What do you mean exactly? Once 3.1 is released for all platforms, the command reference could have an update, but there are no major updates planned for the documentation to be expanded.

1. Is an educational discount available for, say, 17 Standard licenses ?

That can certainly be arranged. I suggest distribution through Steam is your school allows it, but the standalone can be set up that way as well.

2. Would it work on a college network and are there other college using it already?

As far as I know, no one is using 3.1 yet since it was just recently released, and the C++ support is coming out this month. I've sold class licenses of Leadwerks products to several schools in the U.S. and Europe.

3. I understand the game is royalty free but does the executable have a water mark or any reference to Leadwerks eg a splash screen ?

No, there's nothing like that.

4. Is more documentation planned ?

Our documentation is pretty extensive already. It will be filled in in a few more areas, especially as new features are added, but there is no major additions planned.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That's true, the installer EXE the editor exports does show our logo. I forgot about that, but if you want you can just repackage the files in your own installer.

I thought about adding a dialog to change the installer image, but it was sort of low priority and didn't get done. I don't have any objection to people making their own installer to bypass that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If you purchase the Indie version from Steam (well you have to) can Leadwerks run standalone without having to further use Steam. In other words, can you merely use Steam to purchase and upgrade and then use Leadwerks completely independent of Steam ?

The C++ add-on for Visual Studio 2013 and Code::Blocks (on Linux) will be available soon.

Steam has an offline mode, but I don't know for sure how long it can run before it needs to reconnect again, so that might not be the right route for schools. I can provide a standalone, or do something fancier with a site installer...I don't really know how those work, but have friends that do that kind of thing.

• Upvote 1