Any video's or tutorials for 2D development in Leadwerks?

SlipperyBrick

LE is really a 3D engine. It does have some 2D functions though so if you wanted you could make a 2D game with it :)

Your drawing commands: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/context/

The most lacking functionality would be drawing a sub image from a texture file.

You could put in a pivot into your scene, and attach an entity script to it. Then you can use PostRender(context) to draw all your stuff. You could also do all the drawing in App:Loop() after the world is drawn.

• Upvote 1

No Leadwerks is a 3D engine.

It can display 2D stuff , but it's mainly for HUD purposes and otehr similar stuff.

---------------------

There are different type of 2D games :

Pure 2D with 2D tiles and 2D collisions is specific (not LE3 features)

In this case this means lot fo 2D specific tools , specific optimized 2D collision system, tile level editor and optimized 2D drawing and features.You should better look at some product dedicaced to 2D like Construct 2 , Multi Media Fusion stuff ,or Unity and it's plugins.

--------------

With LE3 what you can do is a mix of 2D and 3D

2D Animated Characters using 3D planes :

2D draw level stuff in game using 3D planes, below houses are not 3D models but textured 3D planes.

deathspank2.gif

You will need a 3D floor and walls as LE3 uses only 3D collisions.

For houses using a 3D plane you will have to place an invisible 3D BSP cube behind for collision.

Stop toying and make games

Cheers Rick! I will check out these commands and learn them. In regards to what YouGroove was saying, I would need to make 3D planes in LE and then put my 2D textures on those 3D planes? Would I still need to do UV mapping for these 3D planes or could I simply use the LE brushes? I will be using Black Ink to draw my images (I feel most comfortable in there doing digital art).

Gamecreator, I have the Steam version of LE so unfortunately I cannot code in C++ :(

Is there a way to do a similar command with similar or even the same effect as the 'Texture::SetPixels' command for C++? I would like to also know if in the near future Josh plans on releasing an update for us Steam users to have the ability to code in C++ aswell, I would love to see that! :D