Mixamo Full Access

DudeAwesome

puh studio version 200$ (for facerig) and I dont know how it works with my own models.

I would not go that way but these ones if i had Kinect :

http://ipisoft.com/?gclid=CLjD4JT_tbwCFaUSwwodCRgAfw

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_mocap_device.aspx

Custom unlimited animations for free once you buyed the product.

ipi is nice but for really good animations you need more than 1 camera -> expansive software (but I think about it to buy it for months, I will try the demo soon and can give a leadwerks tutorial) but ipi mocap studio cant be used to animate facial emotions I guess?

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

its a fact that I need something to animate my models. Face rigging is also a pretty nice feature and I´m really interested into it because it is some advanced. If I could use this technology (even for education) would give me some nice experience.

and no I dont need it. I WANT IT :D

• Upvote 1

its a fact that I need something to animate my models. Face rigging is also a pretty nice feature and I´m really interested into it because it is some advanced. If I could use this technology (even for education) would give me some nice experience.

and no I dont need it. I WANT IT biggrin.png

When I finally get the first character model of mine complete (I'm not even working on it just yet) I want to add a facial rig that will allow facial animations and motions inside the leadwerks engine for cutscenes or real time expressions during action on AI characters and companions, I have a reasonable amount of experience making joint based facial rigs for use in games and I've done some full on facial animation before too, I'm thinking that once I get all of this stuff done I might start making some tutorials on how I created certain things and everything.

As for things to make animation for you, Mixamo would likely be your best bet aside from finding an animator to work with. That or get a few Kinects and go crazy :P but even if you use Mo cap you will want to know how to clean it up and get the motion onto your character then edit that for use in a game engine :P (its worth it if you can afford it)

A friend linked me to this Indiegogo project before, it looks great and I wish that I could afford to back it!

• Upvote 1

Another plus side to my character rig, once I complete it I can make a tutorial on how to transfer it to another custom model (that you or anyone else made or obtains, the animations can be transferred too) so you can use it if you can animate, that means the facial rig will transfer too, you just need minimal skills in Maya, the key downside I think, as many more people are going with Blender as its Free and I'm so used to using Maya.

I downloaded Blender to try and get into the rigging and animation in that, but I can't get used to the menus and such so quickly :(

You'd be able to get a student version of Maya for up to three years though I think. I need to look into ways of converting my custom rigs into Blender rigs from Maya for users without Maya >__<

about facerig. a user asked for gamedev support (in this case unity)

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/204794235/630800443206250898/#c630800443356235170

I'm thinking that once I get all of this stuff done I might start making some tutorials on how I created certain things and everything.

that would be nice.

You'd be able to get a student version of Maya for up to three years though I think. I need to look into ways of converting my custom rigs into Blender rigs from Maya for users without Maya

yes also 3dmax and so on. But I have no clue about maya or 3d max I used it some years ago in a 3d lesson at university but not much. Blender is just confusing for me but it is a powerfull and free solution. In the next few days I try to animate a face with blender and see how it works. its important for me that it is fast and scalable to create animations for face and models. Maybe I´m wrong but Blender only supports face capturing with trackpoints? I watched some videos on youtube and ok its not that hard to create it with blender but it is time consuming. The other thing is mixamo face plus. The only thing where I dont have "free" solution is how to animate 3D Models (not with own hands) like iPi Mocap Studio. The Facerig stuff is also interesting but I dont think its made for devs.

Well the way you would do it in Blender really isn't that different to Maya, its just different controls and interface really...

As far as animating faces goes I much prefer to handle it manually, the mocap I would only use for high quality cut scene renders or animated cinematic scenarios.

I'm not sure that Blender only supports that that, you're always able to go in and animate the face manually, if all you're looking to animate are facial expressions to express emotion to layer over other animations within your game you can easily do this without a lot of animation knowledge, all you will need is a properly prepared model (A model rigged with facial animation in mind) and know what expressions you want. Usually a rig will have controls to help animators use it and it will have pretty straightforward and easy to read facial controls. I haven't much looked into Mixamo Faceplus but I will look more into it now.

Animation itself isn't easy to literally just jump into, but if you're willing to and able to put some time into it you might not struggle in picking up some basic skills with Blender (once you get your head around the user interface) this looks like it might help give you a head start in animation as a whole as well as some cool final result for facial stuff:

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/animating-a-character-in-blender/

The good news is with my rigs that I create in Maya I think I can get them into Blender and set them up well enough without having to get someone else on board to help with that. I'm trying to get my head around Blender too myself as more people seem interested in a lot of art related stuff and Blender is easy to get and free so if I succeed I will use that for my tutorials and maybe even animation ones, but if I struggle too much with it and can't configure it more like Maya then I will stick to that for the tutorials I have planned :S lol :P I find it hard as I have been using Maya for far too long now.

After looking up more info on Mixamo Faceplus, it says that it works with both Blendshapes and joint based characters so the second is what you would want for a game character to use in an engine, blendshapes are awesome but not as engine friendly from what I have experienced.

I know there are things for software like Blender and Maya that will take your audio from your mic or recorded file and animated your model much like this providing you set it up correctly which is apparently the same as this anyway, if you read over the documentation a little here it takes a little preparation for the character in Unity to work with it. (the docs: http://www.mixamo.com/files/doc/face_plus-readme.pdf )