Adding my models to the editor

Guest heyjeebus

Guest heyjeebus

Hi everyone !

How do I add my own models into the editor ? Or is the option disabled in the evaluation version ?

Also, I know I need to use a converter for both the meshes and textures, but won't the meshes lose information about the texture because of the format change ?

I tried reading the wiki, but I still don't quite understand how the art pipeline works in the Leadwerks engine.

There are tools included in the SDK to convert various formats to LeadWerks GMF format. They can convert static meshes and meshes w/ bone animation. If you have a texture assigned in your modeling program then the mesh will look for a material file corresponding to that texture name. There are tools to construct materials in the SDK. Basically a material is one or more textures and a shader that tells the engine how to use those textures (diffuse/bumpmap/specular/emissive/etc).

The art pipeline isn't that bad. Not as streamlined as Unity, but about the same as most other engines.

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

Hi,

You need to convert your models to the GMF file format and your textures to the DDS file format. Additionally you need to create a material file using the DDS files using the material editor. Then you should be able to drop the files in a sub directory of the Editor and be good to go.

Cheers!

How do I add my own models into the editor ? Or is the option disabled in the evaluation version ?

I've never used the evaluation version so I can't comment on that but in the full version you simply include your models in the models directory and restart the editor to have it pick them up and offer them for selection.

Also, I know I need to use a converter for both the meshes and textures, but won't the meshes lose information about the texture because of the format change ?

No, things like the texture filenames and UV mappings are all preserved in the Leadwerks gmf format

I tried reading the wiki, but I still don't quite understand how the art pipeline works in the Leadwerks engine.

A lot depends on what you tools you are intending to use. Most of the major 3D modelling applications have existing pipelines sorted for conversion to Leadwerks. You are probably better asking for more specific information based on the tools you intend to use.

But basically you need to convert your mesh files to gmf format as you're aware and convert any textures used into DDS DXT5 format with mip maps. Having done this, make a material file for each texture in which you can specify things like shaders to be used and various other properties. Also normal maps etc if your using those.

In Leadwerks transparency is handled by the alpha channel of the diffuse texture and specular by the alpha channel of the normal map.

It seems like a lot to take in initially but you soon get used to it.

Hope this helps.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

In Leadwerks transparency is handled by the alpha channel of the diffuse texture and specular by the alpha channel of the normal map.

Those are how some of the default shaders are set up, but you can also use a separate specular map or write your own shader that does whatever you want.

ZBrush - Blender

Guest heyjeebus

Thanks for the help everyone !

No, things like the texture filenames and UV mappings are all preserved in the Leadwerks gmf format

But when converting the texture format to .dds won't the mesh lose information about the texture's location because of the filename change ?

No, texture position is determined by determined by UV coordinates which are stored with the mesh data. Unless you mean the path to the texture. It strips all path information. So say your model had a c:\textures\supertexture.jpg assigned as a texture. The GMF file will assign supertexture.mat to that surface. So then you create a supertexture.mat that tells it what textures and shaders to use.

ZBrush - Blender

HI i'm new and was wondering if anyone know how or where to put the files (gmf,phy,dds) of models in the leadwerks sandbox folder? or how to import them.

Intel®Core™2 Quad Q8200 @2.33GHz 2.34GHz

4GD DDR2 SDRAM AT 800MHZ,GMT

Nvidia Geforce GTS 250, 1GB Vid Mem

Window 7 Professional x64 bit

LE 2.3

Admin account on computer in use

HI i'm new and was wondering if anyone know how or where to put the files (gmf,phy,dds) of models in the leadwerks sandbox folder? or how to import them.

Al your models should be put inside the models folder. Wheb the sandbox is loaded, the models automaticly appear in the editing menu.I don't know if there is a models map in the trial version.

Al your models should be put inside the models folder. Wheb the sandbox is loaded, the models automaticly appear in the editing menu.I don't know if there is a models map in the trial version.

That does work but for some reason they don't appear to be textured like other objects in the sandbox. does anyone know why?

Intel®Core™2 Quad Q8200 @2.33GHz 2.34GHz

4GD DDR2 SDRAM AT 800MHZ,GMT

Nvidia Geforce GTS 250, 1GB Vid Mem

Window 7 Professional x64 bit

LE 2.3

Admin account on computer in use

That does work but for some reason they don't appear to be textured like other objects in the sandbox. does anyone know why?

You need to create MAT files for all of your textures. The MAT files contain what textures/shaders are assigned to the model. The MAT file should have the same name as the texture assigned in your model. So for example, if your model's texture was mytexture.dds, then your MAT file would be mytexture.MAT.

edit- also check in the modelviewer that your gmf model even has a material assigned to it... one of the first issues everyone has is getting their material/texture assigned properly in their model.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel