Alpha problem with terrain on editor startup

klepto2

Hi Josh,

I have written my own alphatest shaders with correct transparent shadows.

When i use a material with one of these shaders, apply it to a model and place this model above a terrain it looks like this:

post-4-0-57278900-1391121516_thumb.png

Now delete the terrain and recreate it and it will look correct:

post-4-0-01124000-1391121614_thumb.png

Now if you leave the editor and restart it, then the bug is again visible and you need to delete/recreate the terrain again, to have correct shadows.

I have a small project prepared: just load bug.map and you should notice the bug.

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

Your directional light seems to cause some weird artifacts...I deleted yours, then created another one, and everything was fine. Ah, it was because it was scaled for some reason.

Regarding the shadow problem, it appears that the texture is not being bound in the shadow pass. Let me look into this deeper.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It makes sense now. The texture wasn't being bound in slot 4 during the shadow pass. It only occurred when a terrain was present because terrain uses all 16 slots. In other cases, the texture was just left in slot 4 when it was bound during the main pass, and no other texture was ever bound there. :)

Expect an update this weekend in the beta branch.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.