Lua progress

Sooshi

How is everyone coming along with Lua so far, I for one love this programming language and have been using it for close to a year now, and feel it is a very good language to learn for anyone who calls themself an artist. What are anyone elses thoughts on Lua?

Working on a major RPG project.......will showcase soon.

www.kevintillman1.wix.com/tillmansart

Personally, I absolutely hate the syntax of Lua. I am currently looking into using Mono for scripting. This would allow me to use any language supported by the Mono platform. Unity actually uses Mono for scripting.

Languages supported by Mono:

C#

Java

Boo

Python

JavaScript

PHP

Lua

Cobra

Supposedly, adding Mono to a program for scripting is VERY easy. I personally haven't looked too much into it. Here is some official documentation for using it as a scripting language.

Scripting with Mono

Of course you could use anything you want for scripting, but integrating it so it's supported in the editor would require using Lua as an intermediary or writing your own editor.

Yeah I was actually just thinking about that. Plus, being written in BlitzMax may make it very difficult. BlitzMax...

I was all about Unity3D at first, but I was not feeling the syntax of Java, I knew a lot of python but I wasnt feeling the idea of having to learn Boo lol. So as soon as Leadwerks incorporated Lua, I was like woot! Plus its becoing more and more industry standard(Balders Gate, Crysis). Everyone on my dev team will be using Lua.

Working on a major RPG project.......will showcase soon.

www.kevintillman1.wix.com/tillmansart