Entity specific collisions

NotSoSavvy

Morning all. I'll preface this with the always-worrying "I'm new to this but I'm learning" statement so you know what you're getting into.

Now, my problem is that I'm trying to write a lua collision script that only recognises a specific non-player object. I've got a part in the middle that we will call Lathe, and a hitbox around it. If I place a specific other part within that hitbox, let's call it Drill, I want the collision script to activate. I don't want it to activate for any other collision.

So...possible? I haven't had a vast amount of luck trying to modify the standard collision script, and can't find any obvious documentation on it.

Thank you, that solved it! One problem down, several thousand unknown ones to go. Marvelous.

Edit: Well, it solved it as long as the selected entity is me. No luck with a selected box falling into it. Does the collision box default to only reacting to certain types of entity?

What I do is define variables in each of my classes. I just call it something like:

Script.entityType = "Player"

Then on the other entity that I want to get a collision with, I just check what object type I'm colliding with:

if entity.script.entityType == "Player" then
 -- Do something
end

@Marcus

If something that doesn't have that variable hits the script I think the script would give an error. Doing a check that the variable exists should help avoid that.

if entity.script.entityType ~= nil then
  end
end

@Marcus

If something that doesn't have that variable hits the script I think the script would give an error. Doing a check that the variable exists should help avoid that.

if entity.script.entityType ~= nil then
end
end

Good catch.